Pics of Jungle Jack, OCDC plate

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by CutInEdge Lawn Care, Jun 3, 2006.

1. CutInEdge Lawn Care

CutInEdge Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

This is a home made OCDC plate. I think I promised envy a pic. Verdict is not in whether I like it or not. With gators or med lift it might work ok. However, I was running without holes drilled and used gators and med lift. Yesterday, June 1st I bought high lifts and drilled the holes in the plate. Holy cow these things were shooting grass a good 25 feet ({Shoot Up}High Velocity Deck). So I was not real impressed with high lift and ocdc in down posistion. Due to the curve in plate I felt like my dog in back of truck with face in wind only to have all the grass being thrown too. If you look at pic plate conforms to curve of deck, this might be the down fall here. I may weld a stop piece to stop the grass and sand pepples from blowing in my face. I kid you not with high lifts and High Velocity deck it sounds like I am in a wind tunnel. This deck rocks in tall heavy St. Augustine. How this deck performs with overgrown bahia I dont know yet.

ocdc2.jpg

ocdc plate.jpg

ocdc3.jpg

ocdc4.jpg

ocdc5.jpg

2. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

Looks good. Very beefy. How are you controlling its operation?

Are you using this to mulch?

I strictly use mine to block the flow of grass from exiting the deck for short periods of time.

I found holes to be of no help and actually let grass go through.

3. CutInEdge Lawn Care

Have not made a mechnism to operate yet. Would like some pics of others up close please. Websites arent that useful.

4. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

Thanks for the pics...

I now have a better idea of things. I was afraid the curved blocker might hit upon closing. Looks like I was wrong.

Also, that gave me a better look at the Scag discharge opening. Is that walkbehind a "Velocity" deck? The opening is HUGE!

The front of my deck angles back sharper on the discharge side than that, so my opening is smaller... well that and the rear part isn't cut out quite that far into the curve. Also my rear shape is literally / so it's not on nearly as sharp an angle and doesn't have that straight down and notched back shape.

5. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

CitInEdge,

I have pics up of my OCDC on my Lazer somewhere. Do a search for OCDC and TLS as the user. I forget if there are ones of it with the heim joints on it or not.

Problem is though, that my setup is meant for a ZTR not a WB. I've seen the universal joint and long rod controllers for the WB OCDC's. I forget who makes that style though.

Once you make that controllable, you'll realize just how often you'll be using it. And how short a period of time you leave it closed. Hence my comments about you drilling all those (in my mind) un-needed holes.

6. CutInEdge Lawn Care

Well havent used enough to know if holes will be useless on the high velocity deck. With gators and ocdc in down position(no holes drilled) I was getting minimal blow back in my face. Med lift (no holes drilled)was a little more just on the irriatating side. With the high lift blades (holes drilled) It looked like a frikin grass blizzard blowing in my face. I was litterally spitting grass out of my mouth. feeling like a experimental dumb azz. I dont know if the holes made it worse or if the high lifts just create that much more (wow). I have high lifts on Z-Cat and its probably 40% less than the high velocity deck. Massive difference. Thanks for your inputs. Good luck and trim on.

7. CutInEdge Lawn Care

Well my conclusion on holes in ocdc plate are in. They are useless!!!! The holes actually hold debri clippings where when I didnt have the holes it stayed clean. Oh well back to the drawing board.

8. ALarsh

ALarsh LawnSite Silver Member
    from Midwest

Here's some BIG pics for ya...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. Nosmo

Nosmo LawnSite Bronze Member

Maybe I'm wrong but it seems with the plate (with no holes) and mulching blades would be the way to go if you are mulching.

The plate wide open and high lift blades would be the way to go for normal cutting and discharge. Or if you are getting too much dust and debris switch to a lower lift blade.

Nosmo

10. PTOhioMower

PTOhioMower LawnSite Member

Those are the EZChute. I have one, they are nice but mine came on a used mower I bought and it doesnt have all the correct hardware on it. If it did, I think I would like it even better. Although forgetting that you have one is kinda painful. I have jabbed myself several times in the gut/hip area. It doesnt feel good.

I get the idea of having holes in the plate. Mine doesnt have any. When I used low lift blades the chute plate would only open up like an inch when down. When I use standard blades, the chute gets blown open like half way and all the grass ends up on the deck some how. Its really messy. I figured the holes would let the air pass through without lifting the plate. But im sure the holes get cloged really quick.