Pics of last spring's scalping

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by walker-talker, Oct 13, 2005.

1. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

Just now cleaning pics off camera and came across a few that might interest some people. This lawn measured at 17,000 sq ft and is the largest one I scalp. The pile of debris is taller than it looks because it goes off into the ditch. Any guesses how long it takes to suck up this pile with a 16hp leaf loader?

long view of pile.jpg

2. walker-talker

from Midwest

Here is another and wider view.

medium angle of pile.jpg

3. walker-talker

from Midwest

And just one more of an even wider view.

wide angle of pile.jpg

4. Appalachian landscape

Appalachian landscape LawnSite Senior Member

why do you scalp?

5. walker-talker

from Midwest

Because it pays very well. Seriously, mind you that this is warm season grass that I scalp, like zoysia and bermuda. It allows sunlight in and warms the soil quicker, thus greening up the lawn sooner. I have more request from elderly people than any other. They are very anal about their scalpings. It is a must...every year. It's a really nasty and dirty job, but it pays well. I live in a transition zone and actually get a few calls every year that want their fescue scalped. I won't do that.

6. Jpocket

Jpocket LawnSite Silver Member

What kind of money are you talking for a job like that? just curious

7. walker-talker

from Midwest

That one I scalped and dethatched for $300. It took me right at 3 hours. Some are a little less and some are more, but overall I pretty much make $100 an hour scalping (minus drive time). The best part is that it is done during the month of March and we don't start our regular mowing season until April.

8. walker-talker

from Midwest

Here is a pic I took two years ago. This is off a 12K sq ft lawn. Charge $225 for this one and takes me right at 2 hours to do.

Wide angle.jpg

9. lawncuttinfoo

lawncuttinfoo LawnSite Bronze Member

I like the idea of having the truck loader in the front, but to you get a lot of clog ups with that long extension to get to the box?

10. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping LawnSite Gold Member

I don't fully understand, is it just cutting really really short and then cleaning all the grass out so all your left with is the scalped grass plants and the soil in between? thats what i get out of it but could someone confirm or if its wrong explain to me exactly what it is! Thanks!