Pics of my first Compost top dress, I still don't think I am happy with this compost

Discussion in 'Organic Lawn Care' started by DeepGreenLawn, Jul 2, 2008.

1. DeepGreenLawn

DeepGreenLawn LawnSite Silver Member

Here are some pics of my first compost top dress. It is my back yard, by myself I think with aeration and all it took me about 2 hours. The screening was most time consuming.

I use a reel mower so the lawn is like a rug hence all the "stuff" on top. This is the best compost I have been able to find so far and I still don't like it. Am I too picky or is there better stuff out there, I just can't get a hold of it?

Hey tree, I plan on going back up to Cagles to look at their s&%t. If I can get to the older stuff, I think I will be able to differentiate the two, will it be OK to put that down straight?

OK, the pics are out of order, the first one is the mulch, leftovers, that I screened out. I was so glad it worked and I had something to show for it. The second is my rig. '99 F250 with a new lesco space saver. 5X10 landscape trailer, every day I wish I had something bigger, my two wheel wheelbarrel, I WILL NEVER HAVE A SINGLE WHEEL AGAIN! I love that thing, and a 36"(?) ryan aerator. The third pic is my HUGE front yard. The last two pics are the "compost" that I got.

agf 075.jpg

sims compost top dress 067.jpg

sims compost top dress 068.jpg

sims compost top dress 069.jpg

sims compost top dress 070.jpg

2. DeepGreenLawn

here are a few more pics

First pic shows my great top dresser tools. High tech huh? The second pic is my GREAT wheel barrel with my homemade screen on top, I just got lucky that the frame was the perfect width to go across like that, the next pic is me giving a reference to the size of the chicken wire(?) that I am using for the screen. The last two pics are the "finished product". I know, impressive how my MASSIVE back yard. And you thought the front was big.

Like my planters? A pink soap bucket and a plastic pot that you can't touch in fear of it all falling apart. Those are mums inside, I like mums, my wife doesn't care for them, she was nice enough to "transplant" them there for me. The first one she planted, the second is just sitting on top.

Oh, see my pride and joy? that is a slate patio. I love that, it looks great! I am going to do the same thing with my next house.

sims compost top dress 072.jpg

sims compost top dress 073.jpg

sims compost top dress 074.jpg

sims compost top dress 075.jpg

sims compost top dress 076.jpg

3. DeepGreenLawn

So, this was my process, by my self so it took a while.

Step 1:
    Shoveled the "compost" into the wheel barrel through the screen. What stayed on the screen I first got down, shook the screen till it fell through, dumped it. After a few trips on and off the trailer I started just scraping the leftovers around with my shovel, easier and faster. Then dumped the screen off to the side.

Step 2:
    Take my load around back with the shovel and rake. Spread out piles of "compost" through out the yard and spread with the rake. I didn't want to do it too thick for a couple of reasons. The grass is about a 1/4" tall, so I didn't want to smother it, AND we just put the house on the market so I wanted the potential buyers to know there is actually a lawn and it is green.

Step 3:
    Repeat steps 1 and 2

Hard stuff I know, just time consuming. I am going to try my first real job with only two people. I would like to have three guys, and two wheel barrels BUT the wheel barrels are about $100 and I don't have the money to throw around. If I feel like it is necessary then I will get one.

In a perfect world, I would have a machine, no really, I would have a guy at the trailer screening, a guy hauling and spreading compost, and a guy throwing and spreading compost. Ideally everyone would be constantly working and it would all go smoothly in a timely manner.

Now back to the real world...

4. treegal1

treegal1 LawnSite Gold Member

1) your trailer sides fell off
    2) you did not blow or rake it in to well?
    3)about the compost,DAMN.......... that's it.

looks great over all, now your headed in the correct direction. any tests on that dirt. sorry "compost".

its OM that's all that matters.LOL

PS nice screen, now go get that cow gold, smell it??? let your first whiff guild you

5. treegal1

6. lawncuttinfoo

lawncuttinfoo LawnSite Bronze Member

That's a southern grass right?

Hard to believe it would glide like that over fescues/bluegrass

7. treegal1

bahia and zoysia too, its all about the compost, the stuff DGL showed?? thats gona be hard to do,

8. DeepGreenLawn

Well, that was the best I could find for sale from nurseries, like I said, I am going by Cagles again here in just a little while. I thought I had some great stuff there but once I got it home and it dried out I realized it was about just as good as everything else. Way too many wood chips, I am sure they will still be sitting on top after I water a few times.

9. treegal1

don't worry it will be OK, the wood will go away soon.the first time we top dressed it was a disaster, you actually stuck that landing, 8 points just for form!!! not your compost so it wont reflect in your score.LOL your headed down the path, walking now and running soon.

you just need a free minute some time to drive around and organnist sight see, barn here coop there, we got some pond scum the day before, not so great when we got it, mixed with wood and turned a few times, it looks promising

10. DeepGreenLawn

I am still getting use to the "additives" right now I just want to find something good I can put down today.

Thanks for the complement, mostly due to your advice.