Pics of my last compost topdress

Discussion in 'Organic Lawn Care' started by DeepGreenLawn, Jul 18, 2008.

1. Smallaxe

Smallaxe LawnSite Fanatic

Yes, compost can break down completely in short periods of time. Need mineral soil to stablize the soil level.

2. Daner

Daner LawnSite Bronze Member

Hey there Deep...I think If your going to be doing larger lawns,You need the gear...like you said your self....It's a ton of hard work raking In that compost....Its ok for the rinky dinky lawns to spread a wheel barrel or 2 on, But As you now know when you get to the 2000' + lawns It way too much work. A skid steer could be your best friend on a day like that...You can use a pull behind dreeser like what loyd builds ,But Make it big enough that you can take a load from a skid steer.
    Cheers

3. Daner

Daner LawnSite Bronze Member

Pull the compost spreader with a ATV, and load with a skid steer

4. ecoguy

ecoguy LawnSite Member
    from Duncan

Hey Deep Green. Why not switch to Compost tea? Much easier to apply and the impact on the lawn is felt quicker.

5. starry night

starry night LawnSite Silver Member

We had that discussion on here before about compost vs. tea. I don't know how to post links but the title of the thread was, in fact, "compost vs. compost tea."

6. ecoguy

ecoguy LawnSite Member
    from Duncan

Thanks D&H. I'll look for it.

7. foreplease

foreplease LawnSite Bronze Member

I have been using search feature to read about various sources of compost rather than ask things that have already been well discussed. Information here and a few other threads has been helpful and interesting.

That said, upside down rakes are one of my biggest pet peeves. I will not work with anyone who leaves a rake upside down (5th photo) more than once. Ditto for leaning one against a wall head down teeth facing out.

8. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

I am wondering if a regular push spreader could be modified to spread compost. Suppose you cut a circular hole about 2 inches in diameter in place of the usual center hole. Would that be big enough to pass a well-screened compost? Could you replace the big hole with a plate with the usual hole size held in with three screws--when you needed to use the spreader for ordinary fertilizer?
    Same idea for a ride-on spreader.

9. Exact Rototilling

Exact Rototilling LawnSite Fanatic

Yes I have wondered that myself. There is a Bigfoot High Volume spreader.

We have EKO compost here and the leading bark blowing Co. will blow it out. On of my aeration clients had it done and I was not very impressed with the results. Uneven application and far too much wood product in there for a lawn. EKO does make a lawn top dressing formula with far less wood in it but it's not available in bulk that I know of.

10. DA Quality Lawn & YS

DA Quality Lawn & YS LawnSite Fanatic

Yeah I have heard a woody based compost is cheap to make but not of any real help to lawns. Same with peat based.