Pics of new bed edges & mulch question

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by Premier landscaping south, Nov 4, 2009.

1. Premier landscaping south

Premier landscaping south LawnSite Senior Member

This was my project for the afternoon. Oh how I love working in the wet Carolina clay. Questions comments or critisism welcomed.

Ahh the mulch question. Clients whole yard needs to be mulched front, back(which I just cleared out large amount of underbrush and cleaned up besides some leaves that had fallen since yesterday.) and both sides of house.

He wanted dyed black mulch. I said cool let me get you a price.

18 yards installed is $914

He told me sorry I can't do that much. He told me a company that blows the dyed black mulch in would do the job for around $600.00.

Has anybody been under bid this much by blown mulch companys.

I called a local mulch company that does blown mulch and I just asked for 12 yards dyed black mulch. How much would that be and she said $625.00.

Something is not adding up here.

PLS

100_3841.jpg

100_3842.jpg

100_3843.jpg

100_3844.jpg

2. scagdude

scagdude LawnSite Senior Member
    from Texas

ya there is no way i would do 18 yds of mulch installation and me having to provide the mulch for $600!!! is he crazy?? i think your price is good if not a little under priced.
    Also what did you do the bed edging with? It look really nice

3. ALC-GregH

ALC-GregH LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

Sounds like the customer is trying to lowball you now that you spent time cutting the edges but I have to ask, did you not give him a price beFORE you started the job?

4. Premier landscaping south

Hey scagdude,

On the side of the house Set up a string about 8" off the ground and followed it with my stick edger with a fresh blade as deep as possible. It rained a lot this past weekend so it cut through the clay pretty easily. Then came from the back side with a straight bladed shovel on a 35 degree angle or so and lifted from the back to dislodge the dirt never the front.

I hope to get a call from the homeowner saying that I have the job for the mulch. The mulch company has never came out to do an estimate. I believe home owner is going to be in for a rude awaking. They are good people and grateful for their business. I would just like to be able to finish off the job. I know when they blow mulch they will not contour around tree trunks and spread the mulch nice and even. My intention is not to dis on blown mulch company's because I think it is a great idea but I do believe I can be competitive with their prices.

I just like to do a really nice job for them to set the job off correctly.

PLS

Last edited: Nov 4, 2009
  5. Premier landscaping south

I Gave him an estimate for 12 yards of dyed black mulch for the area I cleaned in the backyard. Estimate was $616. Then after I started the work he asked about doing the whole house.

PLS

6. tjwalkingon

tjwalkingon LawnSite Member

Nice edging! Pretty!

7. ADVANCEDOHIO

ADVANCEDOHIO LawnSite Member

Looks very nice. Dont do the mulch for free. If somebody else can do it that cheap - let them. Its cheaper to stay home and do nothing before losing money. He cant do it himself for that much. You might be a little low.

8. DLAWNS

DLAWNS LawnSite Fanatic

Dude your edging looks amazing...very crisp. Keep it up and I hope you get the mulch job for the price you gave him.

9. ron mexico75

ron mexico75 LawnSite Bronze Member

Damn, I'd swear you used a bed definer to make those lines. That homeowner sounds like he is BS'ing you. I bet he never even got an estimate for blown mulch. That price he gave you is probably what he wants to spend.

10. laird006

laird006 LawnSite Member

I'd charge 1170 including and delivery of mulch, homeowner is already getting a deal. that price includes edging and light bed prep however