Pics of New Hustler Diesel & John Deere's 997 diesel model

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Tonyr, Jul 16, 2005.

1. Tonyr

Tonyr LawnSite Bronze Member

Went to a rural show today, had a good look at the 2 contenders for my next purchase, with 60'' rear discharge decks.

Got a demo on the J.D Wednesday, I'll post pics...

2. Mark McC

Mark McC LawnSite Bronze Member

I was wondering what in the world you're doing with all all that on in this heat and looked at the date of this thread. No help. Then saw you're in Australia. NOW it makes sense.
  3. Tonyr

Ha Ha, yeah, it is mid winter here....had to get up at 4am to get there, was freezing lol. Then this cold dusty wind came up, as the saying goes here, ''freeze the balls off of a brass monkey!''

Tell ya, I had a little play on the J.D....smoothest hydro system of anything I've ever tried, for a big heavy toy it felt no heavier than my toro, just as nimble and responsive, quieter too!

I'm going to get the air intake changed to allow a precleaner, and a fan behind the radiator fitted so it can handle our hot temps and dust, currently the J.D sucks air in through a side vent, not smart if running a rear discharge deck.

This is the 1st 997 here, or one of the 1st, so it hasn't been modified for our rough ass conditions yet....

One word for the J.D......NICE!

BUT, I will say, while in my opinion the Hustler look as pretty lol, it does out spec it power wise, and is apparently 6'' shorter, though it looks much longer!
    cosmetics tricking the eye!
    The Hustler is indestructable, be the toughest mower on the market, put a gun on it and send it to war, it is military grade stuff lol. well, you get the point! :waving:
  4. Albemarle Lawn

Albemarle Lawn LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm concerned about the lack of a rear bumper...its plastic versus the real world.

Also, the radiator and oil cooler appear to be vulnerable. The back end of a zero turn need to be beefy considering how they operate.

Also, if you have 2 deere's they don't "interlock" well front-to-rear for transport.

NICE yanmar engine. Nice 7/8 thick belts on deck.

5. Scapegoat

Scapegoat LawnSite Member

You look happier on the Hustler. :D Is that your wife and kids in the shot?

Just out of curiosity, what kind of prices are they quoting you there?
  6. Tonyr

The J.D is $27500 Aussie dollars
    The Hustler with 60'' rear discharge deck is around $31000 Aussie.

Mowing rates here are around a dollar a minute, so need quite a bit of work.

I should get $12000 min as a trade on my 18 month old toro....
  7. Cut 2 Please

Cut 2 Please LawnSite Member

Don't go trading in that Toro just yet. I demoed a new Hustler w/60" rear discharge deck today. It had the 25 hp Kaw. and was way under powered. I was very disapointed with it. My Exmark, (27 hp Koh 60" side discharge) would cut circles around it. To me the grass we had it on was not even all that tall. I was taking about 2" off the grass and the rear discharge would bog and almost cut off if you got much over 4-5 mph. My Exmark could go through it at about 8 Mph. I had double blades on my Exmark. Medium lift w/ gators over them. We also took a Hustler Super Z, (27 hp Koh 52" side discharge) and it was awsome. It had the stock blades only and could cut right with my Exmark if not just a little faster. The suspension seat was also very nice. I am very seriously considering buying the 52" Super Z.
    I really thought that the rear discharge deck was going to be the greatest thing going, but man was I disapointed. Make sure you demo one before you buy. I am very glad I did.
  8. vipermanz

vipermanz LawnSite Bronze Member

both look like mini m1a1's to me
  9. iluvscag

iluvscag LawnSite Senior Member

Me Too. Exactly.
  10. horn1004

horn1004 LawnSite Member

A mandrel bent rear bumper is supposed to be released any day now for the 997.

You can also make a rear bumper for it as well. I've got pics of one if needed.