Pics of root problem

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by stumped, May 19, 2006.

1. stumped

stumped LawnSite Member

This is only part of the area, the rest looks pretty much the same. I have aerated the lawn every year so air shouldn't be the reason they are surfacing. The tree is sided on two sides with blacktop or road. We get plenty of rain so water shouldn't be an issue either. This past week I took out the quill on my mower, don't even want to talk about the blade:angry:
    I have to do something with them. If I can't cover them with topsoil, and I'm not supposed to cut them off, what do I do???????

roots 004 (600 x 450).jpg

roots 005 (600 x 450).jpg

2. phototropic1

phototropic1 LawnSite Member
    from MS

First, we would need to know what kind of tree this is. Some trees are notorious for having large surface roots in almost any situation. And I don't think you can unequivocably say that it is NOT an aeration or water issue. There are too many other factors that may not have been taken into account during your analysis. For example, did you do a lawn aeration or a tree aeration. Lawn aerations only really provide a significant benefit to plants that have their roots in the first few inches of soil (i.e. grass). Proper tree aerations would need to be quite a bit deeper. However, I think that it probably has more to do with the type of tree than cultural conditions, but I would need much more info to really make an educated guess.
    Short term solution......raise your mower deck!!!

3. stumped

stumped LawnSite Member

It's a 100' white pine. I have the deck set on 4" level to safely get over them. I usually mow the rest of the yard on 3", forgot to raise it and paid the price.
    Can I fill between the roots to level it???