1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Pics of spray rig set-ups for trailers

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by GreenHor7, Oct 18, 2006.

1. GreenHor7

GreenHor7 LawnSite Member

I am trying to get some ideas on how to set-up my trailer for next year.
  2. Rayholio

Rayholio LawnSite Bronze Member

What all do you want on your trailer?

I have a grasshopper / shielded sprayer, 300gal nurse tank on a 16ft open trailer.. nothing special, has a little room left for backpack sprayers / spreaders..
  3. GreenHor7

GreenHor7 LawnSite Member

I am considering on a 50 gallon tank to get started. This will have dual purposes. First, as a nurse tank if i get a permagreen unit and second as a spraying unit for trees. I figured i could use a couple of backpack sprayers for ornamentals and beds. The permagreen unit will be used for all my lawn applications. If i would need to put down a fungicde app, i would probably use the sprayer unit. This is what my game plan is, based on some input of others.
  4. Rayholio

Rayholio LawnSite Bronze Member

I just realized that you were asking about equipment budgets in another post.. I'm going to assume that you havn't purchased anything yet...

I don't know that you're going to need a permagreen your 1st year.. there are a lot less expensive ways you can go that would be just as effective.. but without getting into that...

I'm not familure with permagreens, because I use a different machine, but a 50 gallon tank would only be good for one refill in my pro-lawn sprayer... on my machine, that would treat about an acre.. I can do a lot more than 2 acres worth of work in a day, and as cheap as tanks are (75 cents per gallon I think), you might as well get what you're going to need in the long run..

On the other hand, if you're planning on using back pack sprayers, I used to use a 4.5-5 gallon sprayer for 10,000 sq ft.. still do for round-up.. but at that rate, some sprays will be highly ineffective.. insecticides for example need more water in the mix to carry the chemical to the root zone in the case of grubs.. At any rate... a 50 gallon tank would be great for that, but back then, I just bought 4 of those 5 gallon plastic fuel tanks marked for water.. No pump required :) in fact, no trailer required.. Heheh

My trailer setup is not the 'dream' setup... but it gets me by.. I think that the permagreen has a smaller footprint than my grasshopper, and you would have a lot more room to play with on a 16 ft trailer... I personally would LOVE to have an enclosed trailer.. Spend a ton on graphics, and you've got a rolling bill-board... :)
  5. indyturf

indyturf LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indy

I have a PG Magnum, I use the hitch mounted carrier instead of pulling a trailer. I use a 50 gal nurse tank and fill the pg before leaving. that will cover over 500k, I still have room in the bed for a skid of fert,2 bp sprayers and a chest spreader.
  6. Tscape

Tscape LawnSite Bronze Member

200 gallon Lesco Spacesaver for a nurse tank, deep root feeding, and hort sprays. One pallet of fert in front of trailer and the Z in the back.

7. ThreeWide

ThreeWide LawnSite Bronze Member

I just recently purchased an enclosed trailer as well.

Are you actually able to place a skid of fert in the front of the trailer with a pallet jack? Or do you stack them in by hand?
  8. oOTurfmanoO

oOTurfmanoO LawnSite Member

where did u get your 50gal nurse tank?
  9. teeca

teeca LawnSite Bronze Member

one thing to consider if your just starting out is can you get what you need in the bed of full size p/u? if so, you could get a space saver or side mounted 200gal sprayer, and still fit spreader and pallet of fert, then put a PG mounted on a hitch set-up. then you wouldn't need to spend the money on a trailer and PLATE and INSUR it. remember if it's used for business, weather full or part time, it needs to have it's own insurance policy, and that trailer becomes a vehicle. then you need to have it inspected for DOT and have brakes on ALL axles(which alot of tandums only have them on one if any, to save money), etc.
  10. indyturf

indyturf LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indy

I got it at Tractor Supply, I think it was around $75.00 then got a live-well aerator pump at Walmart for $18. works great and takes up very little space