Pics- w/b deck roller and some stripes

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by FrankenScagMachines, Jul 30, 2003.

1. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

Ok the eXmark 52" TTHP and ProSlide stripes pretty good. I was content with that aspect of the mower. It actually did real good with the deck anti scalp rollers all the way down when mowing at 3.5" or 4". But sometimes on that occasional berm or ditch/bank, you'd get alittle dig in of the blades... so I went to the McMaster/Carr website (http://www.mcmaster.com/) and went to the section with conveyor rollers and found a fairly cheap 2.5" diameter plain steel roller, 40" wide. Cost $17.xx plus shipping. Then took some peices of steel cut to length and drilled the appropriate holes in it. Attached to deck wheel brackets and found the roller to be alittle short so I welded a small peice of rod on the end to make it longer. Tried again and it works excellent. I need to make thicker brackets with different hole placement but my drill bits are too dull so this will do for now. The only problem with these brackets are that the right side one needs to be alittle more forward so the tire does not rub on it at 4" cut height. Roller works very well and now will not scalp anything. Guaranteed to stripe ANYTHING dirt asphalt, etc. LOL. It stripes parts of my yard that I couldn't get to stripe at all before. I'm impressed. I think it has to do with the fact that it lays the grass over right after the grass is sucked up by the blades.
    More lawn pics tomorrow evening.

jul30163.jpg

2. FrankenScagMachines

from IN

This was with the blades off, just driving it for a test run to see if it would catch on rough spots and see if the height needed adjustment. Not bad eh? LOL

jul30161.jpg

3. FrankenScagMachines

from IN

Blades on mowing at 3.5". Just using single standard high lift blades. This thing does awesome at full speed. BTW it took 30 minutes for this whole lawn, it's one acre. I can do my whole yard (2.2 acres) in one hour at full blast, was taking 1 1/2 hrs with the Scag... but it didn't go as fast as the eXmark.

jul30167.jpg

4. Live4Mowin'

Live4Mowin' LawnSite Member

nice stripes! the sun really makes them stand out. is that with your proslide also?

5. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

hey bushhogbaby--how about resizing your pics to about 475 by (x) instead of 640 by 480. it sure makes a nicer post. thanks.

GEO (metro)

6. FrankenScagMachines

from IN

Live4mowin' yes that was with Proslide as well. The Proslide does stripe great, however the roller added a new dimension to striping. Like I said my only explanation would be because the roller bends the grass right after the blades have stood it up, whereas the Proslide doesn't come along for 3' or so, time enough for the grass to be bent another direction thus making it harder to rebend. Make any sense? Anyway, I really like this setup. More lawn pics later today.
    Yes Geo-Metro I will downsize alittle for ya.