Pictoral anthology

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by CWG, Apr 12, 2005.

1. CWG

CWG LawnSite Member

I still need practice striping, but..with two hours so far its "ok".
    Swisher 60" ZTR, so far, digging it.
    Came with gator blades, and a hitch, 3500 bucks. And an abundance of scalping rollers under AND on the sides. Deck is fabbed/welded. Eaton trannies.
  2. Advance The Man

Advance The Man LawnSite Member

Really cool pix feature on the attached link!

Your lawn mower has got to be the absolute best consumer/residential ZTR on the market. $3,500 for a 60"!

Hopefully, newbies will see your price and check it out. I recall you bought this from your local Tractor Supply Store? Our's doesn't carry this model. Your yard looks awesome! :cool2: :cool2: :cool2:

3. Advance The Man

Advance The Man LawnSite Member

By the way, I know you've only had it for a week or two - but it looks like it's had a year of experience!
  4. CWG

CWG LawnSite Member

Thanks, LOL, I am leary of the quality of residential mowers and I'm sort of...ah, well....testing it before the 30 day "bring it back" policy expires.
    I tried to get it stuck in some spots that have given me trouble with my rider and walkers.
    I took it offroading in the fields behind the house (3 foot tall last years dead/dried weed field)
    It did ok, I guess the wide tires and wieght balance helped. So far its doing quite well, I just looked, 4.4 hours on the meter. Its not the quality certainly of a 6K ZTR, so far, so good.
    It does suck the gas tho'. I'm guessing just under a gallon an hour, whew- thats more than I had antipated- that normal?
  5. rbeitz

rbeitz LawnSite Member

Come on now be honest with us. Your neighbor came over and made those stripes with his Scag and you just parked that swisher out there for the pictures now didn't you? :D :D
  6. vtx1300

vtx1300 LawnSite Member
    from OKC,OK

Ok, so how do you get those stripes?

Does it depend on the roller? I've seen people mention "stripers" -- is that just to get that look? You'd have to buy something extra for that look I guess...

Except what you're saying is that yours is stock... pretty nice.

My tractor supply doesn't have any ZTRs ... just riders.

Nice looking - is that a B&S engine? What HP?
    Good price too... esp for 60". Wow.

7. CWG

CWG LawnSite Member

No striping kit, just went one way then the other, It looks GREAT in the pic compared to real life LOL, I took the pic at noon, the sun was at my back, about optimum I'd guess to show contrast.
    Now if I could get a straight line, its like one major oversteer after another :dizzy:
    The B&S 24 is the Intek.
    I've been to two TSC's around here, one is a dump, the other is loaded, welding stuff, off road go carts, tons of implements, fencing supplies, very well stocked for what it is.
    Ask them to get some in, Swisher has them as "dealers" for whatever thats worth
  8. CWG

CWG LawnSite Member

Got 35 hours on it. Love it.
    I can cut the upper deck (about 5 acres) in about 2.5 hours.
    Changed the oil, no headaches there. Want to change the Eaton tranny oil but it looks like they bolted it in first, then thought about maintenence, I'll look closer tomorrow.
    This flys up and down hills. The deck goes to 5 1/2" - I've got hills that I took out trees on two years ago. Lots and lots of tree's from 1" to 3", I got as close as I could to the ground but it was giving my finish mower(3 point) fits as it would always catch a stump- not this thing. I was worried about hills- doesnt feel tippy at all. And it cuts and cuts and cuts :cool2:
    best 3500 I've spent in while.
  9. kylawnguy

kylawnguy LawnSite Member
    from ky

Bumpity Bump Bump.........
  10. CWG

CWG LawnSite Member

Hello boys and girls, an update:

I now have 120 hours on it since I bought it April 12th, 2005. Thats about 9 months total since last year, or, 3 hours a week, 6 months a year. Actually, more in spring summer, less fall, early season.

Observations: I prefer to run lower poundage in the front tires for a smoother ride, but- you hit tractor/truck ruts and it will pop the tire off the rim. Not the fault of the mower-
    I wore out one belt, that was a bit of a shocker, more like it burned thru in one spot- I dont know if it was the belt tensioner or what, maybe I got some spray lube on the belt...who knows, but- 16.00 and a new belt later...what a pain.
    The two front axle/spindles are taking a beating with higher air in them, I think I'll replace the whole wheel assembly with something beefier. I'm looking at getting something bigger than the 4.5-5's on the front- replace the whole thing with bigger, wider tires I can run with less air- readjust the deck and good to go-
    If my lawn were flat, I know it wouldn't be an issue-but most of the 3-6 acres I do is rough- like should use a tractor and mowing deck rough- tire ruts, ant hills, swampish areas when it rains for days.
    Gator blades and spindles holding up fantastic.
    Sub assembly isnt' doing too bad. The system they came up with to raise/lower the deck is "ok". The 1/4" cable on the right side is frayed and down to 3 strands. Otherwise it goes from scalping to 5" easily. I have hillsides with stumps that are cut close to the ground but not flush, cuts right over them.
    The ride. I put a half inflated soccer ball under the rear of the seat, and it makes a huge difference. I had used partially inflated innertubes, but they often went flat-
    Engine running strong as ever.
    Still fast, cuts wildly nice on flat even terrain.
    Its heavy built, nothing has bent like the MTD 54" whateveritwas mower that this replaced. Man, I mangled the last "heavy duty" mower.
    I'd buy another one- unless I get rich and would step up to some kind of a 72" commercial mower.
    I have to say I've NEVER gotten stuck with this! Ever. Amazing- the last three mowers I had would get stuck all the time, including the Ferris walk behind! It has ATV tires on the back and they do a great job, I've come close mind you but was able to get out and never, ever once had to pull it out, have someone sit on it while I humped it this way and that till I got it out. Man, that is one sweet thing- hills, wet areas, rutted tractor paths, etc.
    Maintenance: oil change/filter easy enough.
    tensioning belts, real easy
    adjusting the drive arms...who knows?
    Changing drive gear oil..looks like a royal pain. Haven't done it yet, I intend to, but it looks to be a hassle. Not filling but draining- one of the drain holes doesnt have a corresponding hole under it, so it will just spill all over the dam deck the engine sits on- and I'll report on that later-
    It starts every time, each time with just a flick of the key- and it will peel out in my garage, what more could you ask for?

Support from Swisher: One time I called about adjusting the steering and it was like I was talking to my long lost grandfather, nice old man, who really knew what the hell he was talking about, and wanted to make sure I understood what was going on.
    Next time, I got the mildly ****** nephew of Hitler, this guy was short tempered and didnt want to be at work that day, and would have just as soon rolled the tanks as chat:

On a scale of 1 to 10, I'd give this a solid 7.999+. My friend has a commerical 54" ZTR, and I'd give that a 9....NO one makes the perfect ZTR...

ok, stay safe

regards, CWG