1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

picture books

Discussion in 'Landscape Lighting' started by The Lighting Geek, Nov 6, 2010.

1. The Lighting Geek

The Lighting Geek LawnSite Senior Member

If you would like to know about the picture books I spoke of in earlier posts, please PM me.

2. ajslands

ajslands LawnSite Silver Member

I have a question, what is the measurement foot candles used for?
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. The Lighting Geek

It is the measurement of light that falls onto a surface. Typically it is used to maintain a standard of light for a particular task, such as a regulation tennis court or a kitchen task lighting. It is the amount of light in a 1 foot circle produced by a candle in the middle. That is how I understand it, I'm sure someone will correct me if I am wrong.

In landscape lighting it would be the measurement of the light that lands on a sidewalk for example. It can be referenced as less than 1 foot candle as well, .5 FC.

OSHA has standards for work spaces for things such as, offices 30 FC., hallways 5 FC, etc.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2010
  4. ajslands

ajslands LawnSite Silver Member

How do you meassure how much light something produces?
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting LawnSite Platinum Member

You use a Light Meter. Or you refer to the IES photometry reports that come with most quality fixtures, lamps, etc.

6. steveparrott

steveparrott Sponsor

Close, but it is the amount of light that falls on the interior surface of a 1 ft. radius sphere with a light source of 1 candela in the center. A more useful description is "the number of lumens that fall on one square foot of surface".

For example, if you have a light source of 10 lumens and all the light were projected onto a surface of one square foot then you would have an illuminance of 10 foot candles.

7. steveparrott

steveparrott Sponsor

8. The Lighting Geek

Thanks Steve for that diagram, i'm sure it will help everyone better understand the terminology of lighting.