Picture guide: Rear wheel fixes on Toro Proline 21"

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by z_clark, Aug 30, 2007.

1. z_clark

z_clark LawnSite Senior Member

Every 400 hrs +/- we have to replace the rear gear pinion on our 21"s. It is a simple job, once you have done it once.

Every now and then a rear pivot arm has to be replace as well. This is not as easy, especially if you don't have the correct tool.

Here is the rear wheel. Notice the angle. When rolling, it had a 30* camber. All of this slack was causing the gears to grind a bit.
    [​IMG]

Take the wheel off, remove the retaining ring with a flat head screw driver, and pull off the gear pinion. If you are just replacing the pinion, slide a new one on, grease it up, and reassemble.
    [​IMG]

Take the "key" out of the axle, and slid off the rest of the washers and retaining clips.
    [​IMG]

To get the pivot arm off you have to get the retaining ring that is under the deck.
    [​IMG]

The very important tool:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

The pivot arm slides right off.
    [​IMG]

Put on the new parts. You may as well change out the rear spring arms while you are there.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Slap the wheel back on and you are good to go.

It takes about 10 minutes to replace a pinion gear. It takes about 20 minutes to replace the pivot arm. The pinion gear cost about $6, the new pivot arm about $40.

2. bare spot

bare spot LawnSite Bronze Member

got question about the retaining clips and how hard to get back on? or to put it better after getting everything installed, is it sometimes hard to get the retaining clips back on? looking at them before i take off it looks like there on pretty snug and looks like when have to put back on (got new ones) gonna be a tight squeeze or fit, (after pivot arm on and then gear pinion) if understand, can this part of repair be a pita?(any tips if so) thanks

3. bare spot

got question about the retaining clips and how hard to get back on? or to put it better after getting everything installed, is it sometimes hard to get the retaining clips back on? looking at them before i take off it looks like there on pretty snug and looks like when have to put back on (got new ones) gonna be a tight squeeze or fit, (after pivot arm on and then gear pinion) if understand, can this part of repair be a pita?(any tips if so) thanks

4. F Y P M

F Y P M LawnSite Member

Just rebuilt both my rear wheels today and had to change out my tranny shaft also because little clips would not stay in groove on the shaft (hence take whole tranny apart to get shaft out) good news is the tranny shaft on the heavy duty tranny and consumer tranny are the same. You can also rebuild pivot arm with new bearing for $6 instead of the 35-$40. Just pop out the bearing in the pivot arm.

5. z_clark

Bare spot,

the retaining clips really aren't too much of a PITA to get back on. It is much harder to get them off than on. The reverse pliers tool that I show in the pictures is a MUST! That and patience. I put the back end up on a jack stand when doing this job.

FYPM,
    Got any pics of switching out the axle??? I have never had to do this one, but have some that may need it soon.

6. z_clark

FYI,

Mowpart.com has the pinion gears on special for $2.99 and the rear pivots for $29.

I plan on stocking up....hope it is dryer this year so I don't have to replace these parts as often! Water is the enemy for these.

7. F Y P M

F Y P M LawnSite Member

I didn't take any pictures but will take some of tranny that I took shaft out of. This one was a single speed homeowner unit quite old. The tranny comes apart quite easily it has 6 3/8 bolts.Biggest pain is it is a greasy job. Once apart I take all the old grease out and clean it in parts washer dry it then put it all back together packed with fresh grease. I think my mower probably went around the equator a few times so I can't really complain.New heavy duty tranny is $279.

8. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

z-clark -- good stuff posted on the repair work. These kinds of threads are of great value and help meet the intention of sharing information on the "how to" part of the repairs. Everybody has repairs and the willingness to provide the pics and narrative is very good. Thanks.

9. bare spot

good to hear getting these clips back on won't be to bad, thought i might have to clamp everything back on in some way for to get (fit) them back in place. btw, roger do agree, don't get much better, a big thanks to z_clark