Picture of heavy duty gearbox for Walker

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by farmboy52787, Jun 29, 2008.

1. farmboy52787

farmboy52787 LawnSite Member

Can somebody post a picture of the heavy duty gearbox for the Walker Deck so i can see what they look like. Thanks and it must be the new style heavy duty gearboxes from 2006 up.

2. tallimeca

tallimeca LawnSite Bronze Member

well, here's the catch. They were using a heavy duty cast iron Von Ruden gear box. I was told they are no longer. Unless they continue to add it as an option

Now they are using the same peerless gearboxes they were using before , except the outer casing is cast iron, instead of aluminum, but the internals are no different. If you order in the aluminum part number, it superseeds to the cast and it's only like 10 bucks more.......... According to the manufacturer, these boxes in the aluminum housing, were only reated for 20 hp........

They really aren't much heavier then the aluminum and a FAR CRY from the Von Ruden boxes. Not sure if the pricing is the same, but if it is, it shouldn't be.

3. dishboy

dishboy LawnSite Platinum Member
    from zone 6

Here you go, if you want a closer I have one but will need to resize it to fit LS's format. This is off a new 42 inch mulch deck.

IMG_0829.jpg

IMG_0830.jpg

4. ATouchofGrass

ATouchofGrass LawnSite Senior Member
    from CT

You have an electric pto? I didnt know walker even made that or is an option for the MB or MC?

5. dishboy

dishboy LawnSite Platinum Member
    from zone 6

Yes a electric PTO. Tractor was manufactured in July of 05, a demo with low hours model MB.

6. farmboy52787

farmboy52787 LawnSite Member

Thats stupid because my uncle has the von ruden gear boxes on his 2005 GHS deck and they are so quiet, now i got heavy duty gear boxes on my 2008 GHS deck and they are just as loud and annoying as the standard ones. Whats the deal, I want to have those gear boxes he has and those ones have 4 screws on the foot rest cover rather than 2.

7. nosparkplugs

nosparkplugs LawnSite Gold Member

Walker is no longer offering the Von Ruden gearbox option, as to the exact reason Walker discontinued the Von Ruden HD gearbox don' t know. I asked the dealer, and their really was no straight forward answer, but lots of speculation

You can still order the Von Ruden HD gearbox's for the Walker from the factory, if you must have them.

http://www.vonruden.com/walker/walker.html

8. 2stroke

2stroke LawnSite Senior Member

im in the prosses of rebuilding a Von Ruden. not sure if they are any stronger.

9. nosparkplugs

nosparkplugs LawnSite Gold Member

They are stronger less give, but you then start tearing up other components$$. Lots of Walker owners around here have them on older machines, and they told me "love to hate them", but when they break bring out your checkbook. Just listening to experienced Walker owners before I purchased ours, I came to the conclusion the standard gearbox's work just fine, and are easily replaced with brand new ones less down time, where your forced to rebuild the Von-Rudens; because of the money you have invested in them. Their Spiral cut gears run cooler & quieter, and if i had to order a Walker I might consider the Von-Ruden gears then; but now Pearless is offering a HD spiral cut gear, with cast-iron HD gearbox from what i have heard.

10. ztrlvr

ztrlvr LawnSite Member
    from US

There seems to be many more parts to the VonRuden set up. They are a nice gearbox. But in all reality if you are only mowenig grass the standard gearbox is all one needs to have.

Two weeks age I wrapped a hidden piece if steel up under the deck. Broke all the shear pins and screws in place. Replaced them and was one my way.

Zero damage to anything that was over dollar to fix.:cool2: