Picture of my hill...Which mower do I need?

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by dcooney, Apr 9, 2004.

1. dcooney

dcooney LawnSite Member

I have mowed my hill for the last time with Craftsman Self propelled mower.

I am having trouble deciding on a rider. The lot is approx. 0.8 acres and the slope seems to be about 20 degrees.

I have attached a collage of pictures to help illustrate my cutting area.

Any suggestions on a rider (or any other type of unit) priced between $2,000.00 to $3,000.00?

Dwayne
    St. Louis

my_hill.jpg

2. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

Dwayne
    A good used 60" Walk Behind.
    Happy Easter!!
    John

970-300.jpg

3. Fine Lines Lawn

Fine Lines Lawn LawnSite Senior Member

A Dixie Chopper would put some awesome stripes on there.

4. gogetter

gogetter Banned

Quite honestly, ANYTHING is going to be better then using a 21" Craftsman on that property!!

Besides cutting the grass, do you want the mower to perform any other jobs, such as towing attachments (aerator, dethatch rake, lawn trailer, etc.)?. If so, that would toss out a walk behind.
    A lawn tractor might be the best way to go in that case.

If you just want a mower for mowing, then a commercial walk behind would get it done nice and fast! It's hard to tell by the photos, but you may still be able to use a sulky on that slope, so you don't have to walk.
    With your price range, you could buy a new 36" or even 48" gear drive WB.
    Or try to find a decent used hydro WB.

You won't find too many commercial riding ZTR's in your price range, even used ones.

Tell us a little more about your intentions, and we can narrow it down to specific brands and models for ya.

5. wriken

wriken LawnSite Silver Member

72" wide track cub cadet., or as far as that goes, try the new this year 60" wide track tank.

6. gogetter

gogetter Banned

You guys DID see the part of his post about the $2,000 to $3,000 spending range, right?

7. moneyman

moneyman LawnSite Member

Try simplicty they have a locking differential for climbing that mountain

8. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

I think for hills you should use a walk behind. There is a lot LESS turf damage then with a rider pulling on the grass to hold a hill.

If this matters:D
    John

9. wriken

wriken LawnSite Silver Member

get a good w/b, if thats the budget

10. dcooney

dcooney LawnSite Member

First, thank you all for the input.

I would like a unit that will handle attachments such as as aerator, spreaders, etc.

After looking at a local commercial equipment dealer here (Erb Equipment), I am quickly realizing that most commercial units are out of my budget.

I just looked at a Husqvarna "Residential" Zero Turn 38"/17hp at Lowes.

Its in my budget, but I don't like the cut width and I would like to get something with more power.

I looked at their special order catalog and it said Husqvarna has a "Residential" Zero Turn 50"/22hp coming out this month. It also noticed it has a stamped deck which seems to be the preference in this forum.

Its just around $3,000 if I take advantage of a discount coupon that I have.

Any thoughts about these units? The link below is for the same unit w/ a 48" deck.

Dwayne
    St. Louis

http://www.usa.husqvarna.com/node1520.asp?id=26556&intLanguageId=7