1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

picture show . What do you think?

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by steveair, May 28, 2001.

1. steveair

steveair LawnSite Bronze Member

During the last couple of months, I've been trying to convince the airport to spend some 'serious' money on rennovating the existing conditions of the airport's landscape. We have a serious tennant list consisting of such companies as AT&T, Lucent Technologies, Viacom, Honeywell, BASF, American Home Products, and more who we are the 'base' for their flight opearations. These are big time spenders, and with the amount they have spent on their individual hangers, their aircraft, and other items, I feel we need to 'step' up the appearance of our facility.

These are some prelimary ideas I have come up with, and just want to get some feedback on my ideas. My main concept is to convince upper management into an annual budget, and then go from there. I want to create a 'landscape mecca', so that when the head CEO of AT&T pulls in his limo one day, he says to himself, "wow, this place looks good"

The airport, as a business, is of course looking for more tennants. I feel, that landscaping, will add 'curb appeal' to our existing site and will help in bringing more big name clients to our area.

Here are a few of the ideas I have:

In case you are wondering, all of these were done on CAD. Basically, I take picture of a area, scan it in, and then use it as a base template in the program. From there, I 'free hand' on top of the picture what I want the area to look like. The coloring, is done after words, freehand on trace paper.

I am getting ready soon to make a presentation, and will likely use a liquid crystal display system (it is much like an overhead projector, but you can use any material, pictures/paper/etc instead of having to use transparencies.

Again, my main idea is to sell the 'concept' to the big honchos, not exact $ signs. Once I get in, and get a few projects started, I think the budget will start to open up.

Any comments greatly appreciated, as I want to sell this to my company. They definetly like to spend money, so I figure I should help them.

I'm looking for approximately 300-400k in funds over the next five years, and that will include the purchase of new equipment to help maintain the grounds once the work is done. I am also looking for and addition 60-90k a year in labor to help in installation/maintance of the new installs.

Do I need to 'step up my' presentation for a job this large, or am I on the right track? I know the director quite well (i have done work at his house for very, very reasonable prices ) and think I may have a shot at this....

2. steveair

steveair LawnSite Bronze Member

a few more.....

Also, all these have a 'real life' photo that corresponds to the exact same frame to put them into 'context' with the area. Sorry, the photos are on a other computer, so I can't give them to you so you can relate to what is really going on.

3. kris

kris LawnSite Bronze Member
    from nowhere

I think your plan looks great...only thing that jumped out at me right away was the question....could you incorporate a waterfall in the water feature????
  4. jkinchla

jkinchla LawnSite Member
    from MA

Perhaps some photo imaging may help. Send me some of your actual site photos and I'll fool around with them to add the features that you have described (not sure if I can add water features though). I'm new to the imaging thing, but I would llike to practice as much as I can.