Pictures/Ideas for Single Story Rancher

Discussion in 'Landscape Lighting' started by douglee25, Aug 22, 2007.

1. douglee25

douglee25 LawnSite Senior Member
    from PA

I have a single story ranch that I'm trying to get some ideas concerning accent lighting. Not only do I want this for asthetics, but I'm looking at it from a security point of view as well. The area is very very dark in the evening.

The is the best picture I can find on my work computer of my home (one with the truck blocking most of the pic). I also attached another shot of a house similar to mine. I'll have to get a better picture after work. The home is a single story ranch that is approximately 40W X 30D. I also have a garage on the right side that I'll probably light at a later time after I do a new driveway install.

My initial thought was to use uplighting 36 degree floods for the windows. Because my house isn't very wide, does it serve me well to place lights on either side of the 30" window on one in the center? For the larger window (90" wide) I can see placing one on each corner. I also plan to place floods on either corner of the house to provide some definition and depth. Since my house is rather flat on the front, it's throwing me for a slight loop.

Thanks again.

Doug

1.jpg

Rancher.jpg

2. Chris J

Chris J LawnSite Silver Member

um, let me get back to you. I need to think about this.....:help:

3. NightScenes

NightScenes LawnSite Silver Member

I will really have to see some other shots of this.

4. douglee25

from PA

Of my house? I'll get some shortly when I get home.

Doug

5. kjslawn

kjslawn LawnSite Senior Member

Nice truck I have an 84 with the same wheels 350 engine still runs like a champ.

6. kjslawn

kjslawn LawnSite Senior Member

sorry no help for your house just liked your truck

7. Landscape Illuminating

Landscape Illuminating LawnSite Member
    from Maine

This looks like it could be a tough proposition. Without having much of any landscaping whatsoever in front of the house can make for a very tough project.
    There just doesn't seem to be a whole lot to work with. There does however, appear to be a good sized tree in the front yard. You could possibly concentrate on some uplighting and moonlighting on this tree and any other trees in the vicinity to give some shadow lighting on the yard and possibly the pathway.

-LI

Ok, so that's not your house in the second picture. Forget everything I said!

8. douglee25

from PA

If you liked the truck, you'll like what's under the hood. :dancing: I threw a tuned port injected motor from an IROC camaro back when I was younger. It was almost a show truck at one time believe it or not. I even redid the entire interior in tones of gray and black. I just sold it back in March. I owned that truck for almost 12 years. It made a lot of money for me when I used to landscape.

I replaced it with the F250 with a v10. :) I still have my M3 for fun.

Doug

DSC03679.jpg

DSC03648.jpg

DSC03650.jpg

9. douglee25

from PA

OK, home from work. Here's my house. It's not that bad.

I'll update the first post as well.

Edit: Looks like I can't update the first post.

Doug

DSC03950.jpg

DSC02612.jpg

DSC02613.jpg

DSC02617.jpg

10. Landscape Illuminating

Landscape Illuminating LawnSite Member
    from Maine

Mmmmmmm.....tree lighting it is!