1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Pictures of Fireplaces

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by Mid-Ohio Scaper, Feb 28, 2009.

1. Mid-Ohio Scaper

Mid-Ohio Scaper LawnSite Member

I'll start with one I through together for a client last year.

2. Lawnworks

Lawnworks LawnSite Fanatic
    from usa

Was that a kit?
  3. DVS Hardscaper

DVS Hardscaper LawnSite Fanatic

I sure hope that block is rated for use with fire............................

The construction looks nice, you did a good job.

But man oh man......that sure does look extremely LEGO-EY. The modular block industry has it's place for some things. Then there are other things where they just need to staw away.
  4. Dountman

Dountman LawnSite Member
    from MA

Finished this one last fall.

5. STL Ponds and Waterfalls

STL Ponds and Waterfalls LawnSite Bronze Member

Looks good man! I'd like to see it lined with fire brick but than who gives a **** what others think.:)
  6. cudaclan

cudaclan LawnSite Member
    from Zone 5

I was under the impression that only materials rated for fire (high heat) could be used. Cement (portland) based materials cannot withstand high heat. Additionally, they are air-dried and not kiln fired. Water trapped (absorption) in the material can have detrimental consequences when high temperatures are applied. An air-gap with a fire brick lined box is safer.
  7. Dountman

Dountman LawnSite Member
    from MA

Our chimney was built using a Hutch Chimney insert. Basically a pre-built metal fireplace set on top of fire bricks. We then built around that using blocks, there is at 6" between the insert and the block in all directions. No adhesives are used either everything is held together using Fire-Stop Mortar.
  8. DVS Hardscaper

DVS Hardscaper LawnSite Fanatic

Before I read Casper's most recent post I noticed the metal liner inside. Kinda interesting.

Casper, might you have any pictures of the fireplace during construction? I'd like to see how it's all assembeled.

I really do not like this modular block idea, but that doesn't mean we won't do them.

I do not like this idea of mixing concrete products and fire. Many many moons ago in shop class a guy was working with a cutting torch. The heat from the torch caused the concrete floor to explode in his face. I burn piles of brush on my property, and the land is infested with alotta natural rock. Well, when the fire is alive and burning you get pelted with pieces of stone!
  9. Dountman

Dountman LawnSite Member
    from MA

DVS these are the only two pictures I could find and they do not do much justice. One mainly only shows the flue, the other shows a bit of the insert, however it was before we decided we did not like the way it was starting too look and ended up tearing it back down.

Also agree with you on the block. We were told using the insert and the precautions that we used the block will not have any problems. Time will tell I suppose, this is the first one we have built, I guess its one of those learning experiences.

10. Bru75

Bru75 LawnSite Senior Member

Here are a couple pics of one that I'm building in my back yard. I've been working on it for about a year and a half - in my spare time. Seems like my only spare time is when it's freezing cold or blazing hot, though. The second one is as far as I got before cold weather caught me.