Pictures

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by Sunscaper, Jan 14, 2008.

1. Sunscaper

Sunscaper LawnSite Senior Member

Recent pictures from last week.

HPIM0316.jpg

HPIM0317.jpg

HPIM0318.jpg

HPIM0320.jpg

HPIM0325.jpg

2. Sunscaper

3 more recent and 2 before.

HPIM0321.jpg

HPIM0326.jpg

HPIM0330.jpg

HPIM0306a.jpg

HPIM0308a.jpg

3. csl

csl LawnSite Member

looks real good. do you have a paveredge around all that? just buried? damn it looks nice and sunny in florida. more snow here tonight!

4. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

Not your fault I know, but the handrails on those stairs are horrid.

5. neversatisfiedj

neversatisfiedj LawnSite Bronze Member

Looks like play sand was used instead of concrete sand. Too many fines .

6. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

That is what sunscaper calls a base. Its actually what you get in floriduh if you remove the sod.

:rolleyes:

7. mrusk

mrusk LawnSite Gold Member

Cuts and bond lines look great. Lets see some base pics!

8. John Zaprala

John Zaprala LawnSite Senior Member

Sunscaper this isn't directed at you, but last time I was in Florida, I noticed developments where every driveway and "Lenni" was paved. I also noticed not many paved surface there used poly sand?? My brother-in-law was pissed because red ants would come through the cracks in the Lenni. So I told him about poly sand and we actually picked up and relaid the Lenni (it was only 12' x 10'). But the other thing I noticed was they laid the driveway over screenings for a base and used concrete as a edge. I know it's warm down there and all, but their house is only 4 years old and already the concrete edging has failed from shifting. And 1/3 of the driveways there had ruts. Now I'm sure this was just b/c the developer used the cheapest bid in these developments, but I'm curious is this a common practice amongst paving companies in FL or just a cheap company?

9. Sunscaper

What's base? I think thats exclusive to the North East. Once again ASSuming that I didn't use base is your only refuge. My pavers have plenty of base. The fine sand is what is used between the joints. Followed by concrete sand and FDOT approved bank run shell. Unless you are psychic don't post stupid comments on things you have no idea on to cover your possible incompetence. Then again maybe you can come here and show us how superior you are. BTW I learned to do pavers in Pennsylvania and had a business there for 2 years before selling it to move to Fl. I have established once again successfully. No callbacks as of yet.

10. Sunscaper

John, thank you for an astute observation. A breath of fresh air. Yes many companies here do that. Most of the problem lies in greed of developers. A developer will not even call in a landscape or paver contractor. They will have a guy rough grade an area with a box blade, and then have they roofers or another cheap labor trade install the pavers. As long as they close the property they are happy and don't care. Another challenge I now face is unemployed tile layers laying thin 30mm pavers over broken concrete driveways with thin set and calling this pavers also. They crack within hours of installation.

We install to ICPI standards and a few other companies do also. It's hard to compete with the $3.50 installers and that includes pavers and a makeshift base.

Being that we are in Florida without a freeze thaw cycle we can get away with alot of things. But a saturating rain even in good soil at 98% density can shift with only sand base. We use Bank run Shell similar to 2A modified limestone. Never failed us yet. At $300.00 per tri axle load I consider it cheap insurance.

Plastic edging doesn;t work well here at all. The sun is too hot and it warps with the heat up and cool down to almost 1" between spikes. Concrete edging is the only way to fly here.