1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by JDSKIDSTEER, Mar 18, 2011.

JDSKIDSTEER LawnSite Bronze Member

Here is a couple of machines I delivered yesterday.

SHELTON 333D.jpg

2. P.Services

P.Services LawnSite Fanatic

They look good, I think deere really hit the nail on the head with these machines. The main thing that deere and all other manufactures needs to work on is improving the usable lifespan of these machines. A 80k CTL needs to run 6-8 thousand hours with out a major failure in my opinion if not longer. Look at the massive improvements deere has just started making to their dozer under carriages, they need to implement them immediately to the ctl UC. Thicker steel, better bearings,guards to prevent premature failure. I have noticed a lot of people and a lot of salesman starting to shy away from CTL's because you just can't get your money out of them in 2,000 hours. After 2,000hours its a crap shoot if you will be faced with a enormous repair invoice today or not. Deere has made a power full heart for the machine but the machine wrapped around it needs to be able to hold up to that power.
    Adapt or die.
    Posted via Mobile Device
  3. Junior M

Junior M LawnSite Fanatic

I seen two 333 D's working along the interstate using fecon style mowers.. What do yall do to your machines to set them up for mulching?
  4. Bleed Green

Bleed Green LawnSite Bronze Member

JDSKID been wondering is the SS smackdown over?
  5. Jelinek61

Jelinek61 LawnSite Senior Member

It does suck they cost so much and only last a few thousand hours. The only thing is if they beefed up the components it would cost that much more to purchase so the extended hours you would get would be essentially erased when you have to pay more up front.
  6. P.Services

P.Services LawnSite Fanatic

Why can a 150k wheel loader last 22,000 thousand hours with no repairs? Why can a excavator go 15k with little to no repairs. But a CTL is seen as worn out junk at 2,000 hours?
    Posted via Mobile Device
  7. wanabe

wanabe LawnSite Senior Member
    from So. IL

I would like to see what the manufactures make on selling a CTL. I bet the profit is huge, there is nothing to them.
  8. stuvecorp

stuvecorp LawnSite Fanatic

I don't get your argument, why would anyone spend 80 large for a CTL? Or really over 50? It doesn't pencil out when we are working for $50-80 per hour for the most part and I don't care what the brand is.

Personally the Deere's are not appealing to me and am not excited about their dealers. I also have not ran one(lately...) so maybe the D's are not as bad as the previous ones?
  9. Digdeep

Digdeep LawnSite Bronze Member

There is even less to a skid steer and OEMs make small margins on them, especially once you factor in the cost of the subsidies they pay for the 0-36 month financing we get. I can't imagine CTL margins being much bigger.
  10. bighornjd

bighornjd LawnSite Member

The 50k or even 80k cost of the machine isn't the problem. The $50-$80 per hour IS. Look at what percentage of increase in the cost of a machine is in the past 10 or 15 years. Think about how much more fuel prices are compared to then, How much more it costs to repair, maintain, and even transport a machine. Now compare today's average hourly rates to back then. Doesn't quite add up does it? Also consider the increased efficiency of newer equipment. You can't bill as many hours to do a job as you would have then. Expenses are increasing exponentially faster than the profits are. Seems to be true in almost any trade. Employee wages are not keeping up with the inflation in the cost of living. I think we have only begun to feel the results of the breaking point unfortunately.