Piece Together Leaf Loader

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by brudot, Nov 9, 2006.

1. brudot

brudot LawnSite Member
    from CT

I thought some might be interested in my "leafbox" and loader. The loader is the power unit from my cyclone rake (7 HP). I had a hitch mounted carrier in my collection and a canvas dropcloth and some bungee fasteners. I borrowed my wife's sewing machine and ended up with a very effective method of picking up leaves where the cyclone rake is not the easiest method. You big production guys probably wouldn't be intested. Unloading is done by reversing the chute and using the vacuum hose to empty the truck.

DSC_2604a.JPG

DSC_2605a.JPG

2. Mowerboy04

Mowerboy04 LawnSite Bronze Member

I like it its very creative

3. WALKER LANDSCAPE

WALKER LANDSCAPE LawnSite Bronze Member

payup If it works well and makes you money it is outstanding

4. LawnScapers of Dayton

LawnScapers of Dayton LawnSite Silver Member
    Male, from Dayton, OH

I have been actually thinking about something like this.... How does the loader work begin just 7hp??

D

5. PROCUT1

PROCUT1 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from TN

Similar to my first setup before we had dump trucks. I did the same thing with reversing the chute.

6. scagwildcat

scagwildcat LawnSite Senior Member
    from nw. ct.

were in ct are you from? id like to see how it works, looks like your very crafty, looks good.

7. Dashunde

Dashunde LawnSite Senior Member

I'll bet that works pretty good.

Have you thought about temporarily replacing the back camper hatch/glass with a piece of plywood on hinges?
    Fit it up, cut a upside down U shape for the discharge, paint it green to match the truck.

8. brudot

brudot LawnSite Member
    from CT

Actually I don't have anything to compare it to so I don't know that I can give you a good answer. I know in loading a truck full of wet leaves today that the blower hp didn't seem to have any influence. What is more of a factor is the vacuum hose diameter which is six inches (I think). It clogged a couple of times but was not a problem to clear. Unloading took a little time because the wet leaves packed down quite a bit when they were blown in. I anticipate that dry leaves won't be a problem at all.

I don't plan on using it enough to warrant replacing the rear glass plus it would limit rear vision more than I want. I did forget to add that I have a temporary piece of plywood inside the front camper window to prevent it from being broken by foreign objects that the blower may discharge.

9. brudot

brudot LawnSite Member
    from CT

SCAGWILDCAT I sent you a private message.

10. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

When using your setup with dry leaves (maybe not had the chance yet), was the leaf flow through the 6" vac hose acceptable? Or, was it laboriously slow? And, how much did the process break down the leaves?

I think you said the vac has a 7hp motor, right? How big is the blower housing, how many impellors, steel impellor blades?

Are there other choices of motor/vac for this kind of setup? In other words, can one buy just the motor/vac, apart from another entire unit (e.g. Trac-vac, cyclone rake, etc)? I have thought about something similar for a small trailer, mounting a frame across the top of the sides, along the front. I simply do not have the work load to justify a 16-20hp leaf loader. I work solo, but spend much time loading the leaves on the trailer, packing, etc.

For example, each of the last three days, I have spent about 2.5 hours each day at different properties, gathering leaves, forking or tarping them into a 5X10X3 trailer, then stomping them to get a fuller load. Even if the vac unit would break down the leaves by half, or more, the process would go faster. I have learned to do these loading jobs with damp leaves -- much harder to move, carry, etc, but easier to pack into the trailer.