1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by jason_2005lawnman, Mar 23, 2009.

1. jason_2005lawnman

jason_2005lawnman LawnSite Member

should employee's be allowed to have piercing;
  2. bobcatnj

bobcatnj LawnSite Senior Member

as long as the hole isnt 3 in round like some of these yo yos
  3. mowerbrad

mowerbrad LawnSite Fanatic

If they have multiple in each ear I would say no, but if they just have one or two then they should be fine. Though they still would have to look professional.
  4. thats really the last thing I worry about when hiring someone.
  5. sslopok

sslopok LawnSite Member

I could give a crap if a dude has earrings in his ears while mowing. Hell, I had 3 earrings until I was 25 years old. The kicker is I am a teacher. I didn't wear them to work but that was only because it is a professional job. I wore them 100% of the time I wasn't working though. Now I am 32 and wish I could get rid of the little holes that never go away. :)
  6. Sweet Tater

Sweet Tater LawnSite Silver Member

the only ones that bother me are the nose piercing and the labray(sp), my opinion is if ya dont like it, dont hire them
  7. lifetree

lifetree LawnSite Fanatic

That's the bottom line ... if they don't present the dress code or pre-defined appearance that you have established for your company, then don't hire them !!
  8. TimsLawnCareVA

TimsLawnCareVA LawnSite Senior Member

I will not hire anyone with excessive piercings or visible tatoos. I just don't think it looks professional. I wouldn't even give my brother-in-law a job because he has tatoos covering both arms.
  9. CCC52

CCC52 LawnSite Member
    from Zone 5

I'm no fan of body art.

Absolute best guy I ever had working side by side with me had hair to his butt and tattoo sleeves (including: pentagrams/nudes/skulls) on both arms.

Didn't project the most professional appearance but he was reliable and dedicated to a point of scary. Never complained, plenty articulate, and quite good at communications with customers. When I walked out every morning he had the truck running, everything greased and gassed ready for action, I hated losing him but he found a job with insurance. Gave me 2 months notice too.

Might not have picked him from a crowd but I'd seen his work. We didn't lose anyone the season he was with me.
  10. jason_2005lawnman

jason_2005lawnman LawnSite Member

in my business we strive for professionalism and quality; and looks do matter; we now have a majority of the business in town and still growing; lately seems like all we get is bums with holes all in them looking for jobs that all claim they worked in lawncare business; of course they say that; lol; so i just asked the ??? on here to see what the REAL lawn care service guys say about it;