piggy backed fuse with plow dead short?

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by BJWLAWNCARE, Feb 5, 2013.

1. BJWLAWNCARE

BJWLAWNCARE LawnSite Senior Member

My boss snowplow was installed by the dealer using a 20 amp fuse (should be 10 in owners manual) it lost power this morning. I pulled the fuse it had melted behind the fuse some. It was hooked it slot 45 which controlled the transmission. Now my od light blinks, it only creeps in F or reverse. I had it towed to repair shop and they are struggling even with a diagnostic tool. Any help? It is an f-250 superduty 2003. They have the plow working fine but I must have shorted out the computer, os VSS maybe?

2. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

Sorry, I can't help in the repair of the truck..... There's no telling what got smoked from this boneheaded install.

But this is what I'd suggest;

Get a written statement from the truck repair shop as to how this plow was installed to a vital operational circuit of the truck with a higher amp fuse, With this is being what caused the needed repairs.

Take a copy of this statement and the repair bill to the plow dealer and explain the situation level headed, If the plow dealer declines to take care of the repair bill caused by their stupidity, Take them to small claims court.

I'm not sure about your Ford, But both my Jeep and GMC have a main positive power supply post just outside of the under hood fuse panel. THAT'S where any added external accessories should be powered from with the appropriate fuse holder or circuit breaker......

Good Luck

3. BJWLAWNCARE

thanks Rob,

good advise. My problem is it was installed in october of 2008. I never had a problem before today. My salt spreader was put in the very next slot number 44 with the same style piggy back. I think they made contact to each other which caused the short. The plow works now and so does the spreader. Its the truck only now. I might just have it towed from my buddy's garage to the dealer. Thanks again Rob you are one of the good guys who help/ care.

4. Restrorob

Well, Guess it's a little late then....... But take my advice and move the plow and spreader off the factory fuse panel, Wire them to direct battery power with the appropriate size inline fuse holder or circuit breaker. Then if you have a motor/electrical issue with either, They wont take out the trucks vital electrical components......

5. BJWLAWNCARE

update. It was the fuse block. 585 repair bill. I had them wire the plow and spreader directly. It could have been worse. Let this be a lesson to all. Inspect the install and don't let this happen to you. Thankfully back for snow!

6. Restrorob

That's a pretty good chunk of money for boneheadedness ...... I could see it easily double or more had the ecm gotten smoked, You got lucky there !