Pike Nursury files Chap 11

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by nlminc, Nov 14, 2007.

1. tjsquickcuts

tjsquickcuts LawnSite Senior Member
    from Atlanta

HDLS had nothing to do with the drought, that was business. Either way, it still hurts. Pikes will stay open, but are filing chapter 11 for protection from all their creditors. But the Pikes Landscape Supply in Marietta did close down. We are still working, but we are super slow, and havent had a huge request for fall color like last year.

2. ATL Lawn

ATL Lawn LawnSite Senior Member

what was the HDLS full story?

3. mdvaden

mdvaden LawnSite Bronze Member

You bring back old memories with all this Georgia talk, of our 8 month experimental move to Savannah, until the humidity, sand gnats and fire ants drove us out. :)

We always saw plenty of rain in Savannah though.

Collected many a shark tooth.

4. AWJ Services

AWJ Services LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Ga

From what I know at one time Home Depot wanted to branch out into smaller outlets that could capture business that there big stores were loosing.
    Like Hardware store business for example.The landscaping stores were no different.It however did not pan Profit wise.
    Home Depot envisioned a need but the public did not agree.
    Maybe location?Maybe poor marketing?
    In the end it was just operating in the red.
    I am sure they had a Business model with a predetermined growth period and time was up.

5. mdvaden

mdvaden LawnSite Bronze Member

Also, I think that some attitudes on the myriad of gardeners forums may have chipped away at the plan too.

6. Keystone

Keystone LawnSite Member

From what I saw around Atlanta hdls tried to have it both ways with contractors and homeowners buying together. Alot of landscapers did not want a homeowner to buy the same materials that they could and check prices against them. HDLS wanted that contractor business but they would not deliver their own trees and they would not give a contractor any discount unless he bought alot of stuff. I wonder what is going to happen to the contractors that they lined up to be a HD certified installer. I know a few that counted on alot of business from that deal.

7. tjsquickcuts

tjsquickcuts LawnSite Senior Member
    from Atlanta

You guys are all wrong. I cant think of the guys name who took the huge buyout from HD either earlier this year or last year, but he is the guy who started all the HD Supply stores, and when he quit/fired and took his huge buyout, HD decided to cut all ties with him, including closing down and closing out all the things he started. Its all business, but this way they feel they can corner the market. Their closing has left a lot of Landscapers hanging in no mans land.

But on another note, I dont think the Supply stores profits were where they were expected, but I am sure they were still making money......

8. AWJ Services

AWJ Services LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Ga

Todd Williams was the man in charge of them from the start.

9. tinman

tinman LawnSite Bronze Member
    from ga

The bad thing about the water restrictions is the time table. When things get better it will be a while before they (gov't) change back to normal use. They are slow to react to anything , one way or another.