pile of branches

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bobbygedd, Sep 14, 2004.

1. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

if there is a pile of branches, that the customer cut himself, but left in the lawn , would you a) mow around them. b) throw the pile to the side. c) knock on the door and ask the customer if he would like you to take them, at an extra fee. d) pick them up, add a few buckes to the bill. e) pick them up, take them away, no extra charge. this is the phonecall i got this morning, "bob, hi, it's mrs. jones. the pile of branches in the middle of the lawn, the one you've been mowing around for the last 6 weeks, can you pick them up please,the grass has grown so high around it, i think there is a family of pygmies living inside of it. if i need to pay you extra, no problem." so, what do you do?

2. EMackIV

EMackIV LawnSite Member

Until they say they will pay for it just keep going around it. If the customer doesn't care then neither do I. If they call and say they will pay then I'll clean them up.

3. Mowses

Mowses LawnSite Member

I would leave them on the yard and mow around it. I did that with a customer who left a pile of weeds on her lawn. When i spoke to her she asked why i didn't pick them up as it would have only taken a few seconds..... my point exactly, i'm there to mow i'm not there to clean up and if it's only a few second job what's stopping her from doing it ?? I find when you go out of your way to help all the time those people end up expecting you to do it. The first time you stop doing it, they'll hassle you and complain so to avoid that just don't set the expectation in the first place.

But if they were going to pay me, then i'll pick them up.

4. fga

fga LawnSite Silver Member

happens to me often when the customer does there own weeding. you think if they went through al the effort of weeding, they'd atleast throw it in a bag! Today, as a matter of fact, a customer trimmed her roses, left thorn branches on the side of the lawn. i "nudged" then to the side with my trimmer then proceeded. But i don't like that lady anyway, i may be biased with this example.

5. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

It all depends upon the customer. We have done 4 of the 5 choices except letter "C".

6. gogetter

gogetter Banned

Two factors for me:

1. What Jodi said. Depends on customer.

2. Size of pile. Makes a big difference in how I would handle it.

7. bobbygedd

from NJ

you know those big green barrels? at least 1.5 of those full

8. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

That's a good point, that's part of our determining factor too.

9. bobbygedd

from NJ

yea right jodi, you'd probably pick them up, and wax thier car too,free of charge, cus , hey, "the customer will love it."

10. dlandscaping

dlandscaping LawnSite Senior Member
    from mass

I normally just leave it unless it is a customer who I like. I like customers who never complain and pay what you ask.