Pillar Question

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by NewHorizon's Land, Mar 2, 2007.

1. NewHorizon's Land

NewHorizon's Land LawnSite Senior Member

A customer I am installing a walkway for just asked if I could put two pillars at the front entrance to "make it look better". The base for the pavers is 8" with proper overdig for the walkway. How do I go about this from the base up, where do I start, step by step?

2. D Felix

D Felix LawnSite Bronze Member

Prep for the columns will be essentially the same as prep for a wall. Minimum of 6" of aggregate base, compacted in lifts. Bury a course of block.

I wouldn't put any columns on either side of a walk that was less than 4' wide, wider would be better.

What material are you using for the columns?

3. NewHorizon's Land

Thanks. The walkway is 4' wide. Columns will probably be around 3' to 4' high and I was thinking 3' X 3' at most. She just wants it to "catch an eye". They will be an EP Henry product, probably Coventry wall of some sort. Next question is do they typically go on the outside of the walkway or are they part of it. There is no space issue (nor money)! Thanks again.

4. cgland

cgland LawnSite Bronze Member

Justin - I would go with a pillar that is 3' high max! and the dimensions should be 22"x22" w/ a 2' square cap. For a 4' wide walk I would keep them separated maybe 1'-1.5' away and use plant material to soften it up. Your walk is not wide enough to make a big statement like that. If your walk was 6-7' wide...different story.

Chris

5. NewHorizon's Land

Thanks I will be posting some pics of it tomorow. Took about 100 today.

6. NewHorizon's Land

Are the blocks drylaid and how do they stay together? What size would be better to use 3" or 6" in height? Would it be better to glue them?

7. D Felix

D Felix LawnSite Bronze Member

Don't know about EP products, but VL columns are glued together. With VL, you can run a pin in each block (hole to hole), but it's a locating pin mostly. Doesn't really do anything for structural strength.

With a shorter column I'd probably go with a shorter block, but it's a matter of preference.

8. ChampionLS

ChampionLS LawnSite Bronze Member

When I make pillars, I make a 24x24 form out of 12"x2" wood and fill it with QP. This way I have a level pad to build on. I use all Terrace Wall corners, with SRW adhesive. I can cap it with wall caps or precast. I can make a complete pillar by myself in a hour. Love it.

9. cgland

cgland LawnSite Bronze Member

24x24 doesn't give you enough of a shoulder around your pillar. You should have at least 6" all around it.

Chris

10. NewHorizon's Land

What about mortaring bricks for columns? How is the first course set? Would you pour concrete on top of a compacted base and then mortar the bricks?