1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Pillars for sign

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by AdamChrap, Mar 28, 2008.

1. AdamChrap

AdamChrap LawnSite Senior Member

I want to make two 8ft tall pillars 8ft apart at the end of my driveway to mount a sign between. I have done a few small retaining walls but that is all. I want to get more into hardscaping and thought this would be a great project since if I mess it up it is just for me :laugh: . My question is does unilock make a product that would work for this? Do I need to mortar them or could I use the adhesive you buy from them in the caulking tubes? Thanks in advance for any help!
  2. bigviclbi

bigviclbi LawnSite Senior Member
    from nj

Eight feet is too high. Use block and cultured stone.
  3. amscapes03

amscapes03 LawnSite Senior Member

You can use Unilocks wall stone......."Brussels Dimensional Stone". Check out their website
  4. AdamChrap

That is actually the stone I was looking at. Will it work for that high? Would I be able to just use the adhesive you get from them in the caulking tube?
  5. orionkf

orionkf LawnSite Member

I would not, under any circumstances, use just adhesive. Way too tall, and with signs you have a wind load to consider as well.

Have you considered a reinforced concrete column inside of a hollow column of SRW? Use #4 or #5 rebar to make a cage, or maybe even a small I-beam stuck into a wide footing below frost line. Build your column, then fill with concrete. Just an idea.
  6. AdamChrap

I think that I am going to take your advice and use the I-Beam down the center then fill with concrete. That seams like it will work great that allot!
  7. shovelracer

shovelracer LawnSite Silver Member

This is more or less the method that most manufactures recommend for columns over 4 feet. Usually calls for rebar and not Ibeams, but either way it will work. Key is to get the footing below the frost line and make it big enough to resist the wind load as mentioned.
  8. AdamChrap

One thing I am not sure about. Should I build the column say 4 feet add concrete wait for it to dry then do the second 4 feet? The reason I ask is with the weight of the concrete pushing down 8 feet will it not push the blocks out at the bottom? By the way my design will have a 8"x8" hollow column for cement and that is allot of weight. What do you think?
  9. Edgewater

Edgewater LawnSite Senior Member

I think that 8' columns will look strange. I would make then 3-4' high and either 2x2 or 3x3 square. Then put a nice cedar 6x6 up to the 8' mark for you sign.
    just my thoughts
  10. orionkf

orionkf LawnSite Member

Quite possibly. Maybe build a 2x4 box, slightly bigger than the column, then shoot braces to the ground off of that. Or shrink wrap the whole thing. Or do it in lifts, but do them quick to eliminate cold seams.