1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Pin for deck adjustment bent, is this common?

Discussion in 'Hustler Turf Equip (Archived)' started by Shady Brook, Jun 23, 2004.

1. Shady Brook

Shady Brook LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indiana

The pin for the deck height is bent after only 5 hours, is this normal?

What is the break in procedure on a 27 Kohlor? When should my first oil change be?

Is it normal for the deck height to be off 1/2 inch from what the deck height shows on the selector? Is this something that the dealer should set up, seems like it should match after 8,600 dollars?

No complaining, I love the beast, just wanted to know.

2. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

If the pin is bent it is most likely from trailering the unit, you need to remove the pin and put it in the storage position when trailering, the bouncing of the mower on the trailer will cause the deck to bounce up and down, thus causing the adjuster pin to bend, I always remove the pin and let the deck down all the way so it rests on the trailer floor.
    I have always changed the engine oil after the 1st 5 hours, or the first day of mowing, this is a good practice.
    If the cutting height does not match the indicator, the dealer needs to look at it, give them a call and let them know, it is a adjustment they can make.

3. Shady Brook

Shady Brook LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indiana

I bet you are correct about the pin and trailering. I don't know how practicle it will be to remove the pin, and put it in a safe place with 40 or so stops per day. I have never had a rider with a pin that would bend like under any circumstances. I wonder if there could be a design alteration to alleviate future problems?

Thanks very much for the info, I can not say how happy I am with this machine! It is simply outstanding.

4. Keith

Keith LawnSite Gold Member

I have never removed the pin from mine when trailering. Heck, I didn't even know I was supposed to :eek: Was that in the owner's manual? Will there be a quiz on this? :D

BTW, 10 months now and no bent pins. You guys must have some terrible roads :p
  5. AintNoFun

AintNoFun LawnSite Bronze Member

weve bent about 4 pins and broke about 2.. wonderful new jersey potholes....
  6. imograss

imograss LawnSite Senior Member

I have over 500 hrs on my 27/60 Super Z and have never bent a pin. I trailer the mower in the transport slot of my adjuster, it has never bounced out. Also make sure you have the reccomended tire pressure when checking the hight of your deck.
  7. puppypaws

puppypaws LawnSite Fanatic

I dont even put my Hustler Super Z on a trailer but I want give it very much slack when mowing and I bend the pins pretty often so I just turn it around and let it bend itself back in the other direction. I will put it in a vise and straighten it properly once in a while.

J&JBUZZCUTTER'S LawnSite Member

we need pins made of carbide
  9. gene gls

gene gls LawnSite Gold Member

The pins need to be made out of 1/2" material instead of 3/8".

10. Gruneich Lawn Care Inc.

Gruneich Lawn Care Inc. LawnSite Senior Member
    from SD

I have bent a couple pins on my Super Z also, they need to be made out of thicker material...