Pine Bark Nuggets for playground?

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by Lawn-Scapes, Jun 28, 2003.

1. Lawn-Scapes

Lawn-Scapes LawnSite Silver Member

Does anyone use nuggets for play areas? Like or dislike? Wood chips better?
  2. NCSULandscaper

NCSULandscaper Banned

personally i would think the bigger the nugget the more it would hurt if you fall on it. I would get something small so if a child falls they would not get hurt. Possibly a triple shredded mulch.
  3. Lawn-Scapes

Lawn-Scapes LawnSite Silver Member

Well my thought was.. the larger the nugget or wood chip that it would be less messy. Little pieces of shredded mulch sticking to the clothes?
  4. NCSULandscaper

NCSULandscaper Banned

Personally id rather have a little mulch sticking to my clothes than cuts and bruises from large nuggets.
  5. dan deutekom

dan deutekom LawnSite Senior Member

The recommendation in our area concerning playgrounds is not to use mulch at all because it compacts and does not absorb the energy when a child falls. It is recommened to use 1/4" round pea gravel. This never compacts and it absorbs energy by rolling apart when a kid falls on it.
  6. KenH

KenH LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

In CT---They have a state certified playground mulch. I have no idea what it consists of, never used it. They also have depth guidlines also.
  7. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

Rubber mulch might be one alternative.
  8. jkelton

jkelton LawnSite Member

Some people probably use the nuggets because they do not decompose as fast as a shredded hardwood. Everyone around here uses certified playground mulch which generally consists of pure wood, either wood waste or a virgin material that has been shredded. The certification portion consists of sending the material to a lab to have a series of standardized impact tests to see if the material absorbs enough energy from a falling object (they measure the deceleration of the falling object as it hits the mulch), plus they measure how hard it is to roll an object, such as a wheelchair, over the material - this test is to ensure the mulch layer provides good wheelchair access. Both of these tests are nationally standardized tests (documented by ASTM).
  9. Floridalandcare

Floridalandcare LawnSite Senior Member
    from Tampa

I used to maintain a daycare a few years back. The owner wanted us to mulch it with Cypress Mulch at a minimum of 4 inches in all the play areas and 5 inches under and around the swing set . She told us that depth was required by law for day cares.
  10. hnter

hnter LawnSite Member

also use it for walkways in raised bed gardens...