1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Pine cone picker-upper?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by wildduck1520, Apr 8, 2006.

1. wildduck1520

wildduck1520 LawnSite Member

Can anyone tell me where to get a device for picking up pinecones,etc without bending down 200 times?
  2. dcplace2004

dcplace2004 LawnSite Senior Member

that you squeeze at one end and the other end has two fingers with rubber grips that grab...I think it would do just fine for picking up pine cones...
  3. Duck Dodger

Duck Dodger LawnSite Senior Member

I know it isn't good for it but I have used my walker to pick up pinecones.
  4. SCFF

SCFF LawnSite Member

I know Wal-Mart has something, I can't remember the name but it costs about 10 bucks and works pretty well for whatever (bottles, cans, trash, ect. It has a squeeze handle, and is pretty back friendly. Hope this helps.
  5. dhenegar

dhenegar LawnSite Member

Try a pull behind lawn sweeper. It works pretty good. I use it around here for picking up chestnut burrs and acorns.
  6. wmsland

wmsland LawnSite Member
    from NE OHIO

Try a pooper-scooper.
  7. howardsells2000

howardsells2000 LawnSite Senior Member

What about mowing over them and let the bagger catch them. I'm new at this business myself but I had a lawn that was covered with pine cones and thats what I did. I used my 36" Ferris walk behind with my grass gobbler attached. It worked pretty good. I did have to sometimes go back over a spot to get them all.
  8. impactlandscaping

impactlandscaping LawnSite Silver Member

Go to AM Leonard's website, and look under the fruit harvesting tools. I can't remember the link or name, but they sell a tool perfect for picking up small pinecones, walnuts,apples, etc. It was around 45 bucks a couple of summers ago. I got my step dad one for picking up butternuts. It has a steel basket that rolls on the ground, and the pressure of an object forces the steel on the basket to open and pick up the objects.
  9. sikagrass

sikagrass LawnSite Member

I dont think Id even leave the house without my grabber. I usually go thru a yard before i cut, if I dont I always wish I did. HD sells one for like 20 bucks, been using the same one for 2 years, that ought to fix you up.
  10. burns60

burns60 LawnSite Senior Member

The "grabber" is the way to pick them up for sure. But, here I go again with bragging on the Exmark mulching kit. I have picked up pine cones enough to fill a 40 gallon trash barrell from 3 trees more than once. Then I decided to see what the mulcher would do to them. Presto, at the very most in 1/4 the time I got rid of them and did not leave the seat or bend over once. What did it do to the blades?, nothing. Have also done this with magnolia leaves and burrs (cones) with just the discharge plate covering the chute. Some of the pine cones disappear completely, some leave a piece about a third of the cone, so "hit" it again and usually it will be gone.

My next experiment will be using gator blades to see how much they help out the mulching process.

Got a question for some of you that have used the gators. How do they do with pine straw? With the regular mulching blades I don't have much luck with the pine straw.