1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Pine Cone Removal

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Lee Homan, Mar 1, 2000.

1. Lee Homan

Lee Homan LawnSite Member

I have a few accounts that will have to have pine cones picked up before I start mowing.<br>In the past I just ran over them with my rider with a bagging kit but I'm wondering if this is to hard on the mower or blades.<br>Most yards are between &quot;too many to hand pick up&quot; and &quot;not enough to rake&quot; any suggestions?<br>Thanks! Lee
  2. Hello:<p>The pine cones are a pain, if there is not enough to warrant picking them up, I would opt to just run over them & bag them. <p>If you spent about 5 min a job getting them up, before the end of each day you've wasted enough time that you could purchase a set of blades a day with some left over.<p>If a lot we would kick them to a close pile & use rake puting them in can.<p>----------<br>GrassMaster - Home: www.lawnservicing.com<br>My Start Up Page www.lawnservicing.com/startup/
  3. fireball

fireball LawnSite Member
    from ne Pa

how about squirrels. I hear they work for peanuts too!
  4. mountain man

mountain man LawnSite Member

I haven't had much trouble with pine cones, but we've got sweet gum balls all over the place right now. Has anyone found some tricks of the trade that will help save time on this things? Right now I have to sharpen the blades daily on the mower we use for gum balls.
  5. PLS

PLS LawnSite Member

Amen to that sweetgum problem. I have never seen a year like this year. A bumper crop year. We used a street blower, but that left a little to be desired. Must be a better way, cause they don't mulch worth a sh*&%t.
  6. nlminc

nlminc LawnSite Bronze Member
    from GA

Lee, Try your local Zoo. Sometimes they will rent Ant eaters that occasionally enjoy a pine cone or two :). If that doesn't work I run them over with my Walker even though it sounds like something is going to go through the discharge and thru the seat and hit me in the %#s.
  7. yardsmith

yardsmith LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

Pine cones can be remedied by installing high lift blades & then lowering the deck. Shoot them into the neighbors yard, or launch them into the street at the paperboy (just kidding). LOL ;)<br>Anyways, if there's alot of them, we usually mow them into a circle/pile, & then rake up the pile. Kinda hard on the push mower/bagger attatchment, so we usually have to discharge them into a pile. Usually if there's enough on the ground to make you spend 30 min. or more at it, you can add it to your bill.<p>----------<br>Smitty ô¿ô<p><br>
  8. fireball

fireball LawnSite Member
    from ne Pa

all kidding aside. Pine cones are a challenge. In my travels, I have noticed that the Walker mowers with the smaller decks are definitely capable of picking both the pine cones and needles. Here in Philadelphia, we only pick up the cones and needles in the fall with the fall cleanup. Of course we use blowers.<br>On the subject of gum balls. We use a rotary sweeper. Start at the dripline and work in a circle toward the center. Then use a trashcan to pick up the pile. Takes 10 minutes tops.