Pine Cones

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by C & S, Mar 30, 2003.

1. C & S

C & S LawnSite Member

I'm need a way to pick up pine cones. I would rather not do it hand. Was thinking about a sweeper, but didn't know if that would work. Would appreciate any ideas.
  2. TotalCareSolutions

TotalCareSolutions LawnSite Senior Member

1) Absolutely pulverize them with your deck slightly lowered
    2) Sharpen or replace your blades
    3) Charge accordingly
  3. GraZZmaZter

GraZZmaZter LawnSite Senior Member

A rake and a shovel. Works well!
  4. wxmn6

wxmn6 LawnSite Member

Hmmm, I am not sure about TotalCareSolution's idea but I don't think it will work. First of all, it sounds like you have alot of pine cones to clean up. I would not use my mower. It would be like cutting a solid piece of 1" branch. Not good. Also for every pine cone that you hit, it will sounds like a bomb went off in Iraq. It may cut up cones in smaller pieces but it is still laying on the lawn. It will take long, long, long time (years) for it to decompose.

You would be better off buying a Stihl Power Broom. I just bought one of their unit and it is an AWESOME machine! Although I never tried it with pine cones yet, but I think it will work. Sweep the cones in a big pile or two then clean it up. Problem solved without any hassle.

AVRECON LawnSite Senior Member

I make pinecones food for my 61" Bobcat. Nothin left but little shreds after the Gator mulchers get done with them.:D
  6. TotalCareSolutions

Sounds like you may still be with the puppies under the porch. get a better machine and come run with the big dogs.
  7. wxmn6

wxmn6 LawnSite Member

TotalCareSolutions - Fine, do it in your unprofessional way and you will end up in jail with the big boys after you hit people from shooting out pine cones! Alot of liability would be involved. I guess that is a total care solution! :mad:
  8. TotalCareSolutions

Lets work together on this one, no sense quarelling. You go to the property, spend a good portion of your day sweeping pinecones off the grass and into a big pile. Im going to go out and take care of a few accounts. Around dusk when you finish and have a goodly pile, Ill swing by and "gobble them up" with 27 HP, double blades and a hi vac. Well split the money.
  9. wxmn6

wxmn6 LawnSite Member

Well that's fine with me. At the end of day, I can walk away from the job with a full profit $$ minus an quarter gallon of fuel. I see you walking away from the job paying for several gallons of fuel, a new set of blades, wear and tear on your mower, a repair bill for a couple broken windows and vase, a lawsuit for injuring a guy from shooting pine cones, a new set of hearing aids because you have gone deaf from listening to those pine cones banging and popping, a petition from a surrounding neighbors, and one less customer after complaining about the noise and inconvience.

And then I can have one more happy customer on my list. That would be a solution.
  10. wxmn6

wxmn6 LawnSite Member

I will not be replying to this thread anymore. I am not looking into starting a trouble. I just want to point out that I feel that your idea does not seems to be reasonable safe and smart to do. I am just suggesting that a power broom would be reaonable safer, although it would take longer to clean up.

I am not happy that I had to talk to you in this way, I really do not, but I feel that you need to understand the risk you are taking if you are doing your idea. So please, think smart and safe.