Pine cones

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Vibe Ray, Feb 4, 2001.

1. Vibe Ray

Vibe Ray LawnSite Senior Member

Do you guys pick up pine cones before you cut or do you just cut them up w/ the grass?? Is this bad for the mower if you do?
  2. larrv45390

larrv45390 LawnSite Member
    from Ohio

Last year I had a customer with a lot of pine trees and a lot of cones, they really got on my nerves. I am not mowing for this customer this year because she owes me a lot of money. As for the cones being bad for your blades I fell anything other than grass is bad for them. If I ever have to dell with them again I am going to charge more for the time and money I am going to waste for keeping the blades sharp or for picking them up.
  3. Esby

Esby LawnSite Senior Member

When I am mowing with double blades I have noticed that pine cones are turned nearly to dust as I go over them. I just try to ignore them, but do to be careful as there is always the chance that one could fly wildly from beneith you deck. Try double blades, see if it helps.
  4. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

If i had a place that was like that I would
    put it in lawn bags and keep it for touching
    up planting beds etc.
  5. Mscotrid

Mscotrid LawnSite Bronze Member
    from USA

I bring my Pitchingwedge and 9 iron with me and charge the customer .10$ for every cone that I can chip into the truck on my initial attempt. I only charge .05$ per cone if it takes 2 attempts and no charge if takes 3 or more chips to get into the truck.

Not only can I increase my bottom line but I have lowered my handicap by 6 strokes over the years. I'm thinking about making a instructional video, "Chipping Cones for Profit."

6. kutnkru

kutnkru LawnSite Silver Member

Ummm Mike,

Once you have gotten your video up for sale lemme know as I will give them away for gifts to customers and business associates this holiday season. Should save my favorite winery and cookie basket people some work LOL.

7. My two 52" Toros with kohler magnums and double blades turn pine cones and small dead limbs into compost.

MIDSOUTH LawnSite Senior Member

my 61" scag tiger with double blades grinds them to dust-along with everthing else it grinds to dust!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!