pine needle coverage in sq. ft...

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by hartlawnmain, Apr 11, 2004.

1. hartlawnmain

hartlawnmain LawnSite Member

I have 4000 sq. ft of beds to needle and need to know how many bales. I thought 1 bale covered about 80 sq ft, but I'm told it won't cover that much. I do want it to be thick enough to look good.

2. matthew horner

matthew horner LawnSite Senior Member

do a search. I think there's loads of info on this here somewhere.
    Matt

3. impactlandscaping

impactlandscaping LawnSite Silver Member

I don't use it up here, but a guy I know in NC told me a 3x1x1 bale would do around 15 sqft per bale. I actually have a client here who wants to do a 12,000 sqft area w/ pine straw, so we will have 800 bales delivered here if need be.

4. brucec32

brucec32 LawnSite Platinum Member

pinestraw quality and size of bales vary so much it's hard to say for sure. Spreading it thin to stretch it also takes longer than just getting it out there fast. Sucky job. I just put down 50 bales at my own house.

5. Westbrooklawn

Westbrooklawn LawnSite Senior Member

Bale size and weight continues to go down each year, and price continues to rise. I bid my jobs based on 50 - 60 square feet per bale depending on how thick I will be putting it down.

50 square feet per bale seems to be the best figure for bidding.

6. scott's turf

scott's turf LawnSite Senior Member
    from NH

Are pine needles an alternative to bark mulch in the south? I saw some of it when I was down in texas and I thought the stuff lookd so messy. I guess it is all what you are used to.

7. hartlawnmain

hartlawnmain LawnSite Member

Thanks y'all. I'll just figure about 80 bales, 50 sq. ft/bale, and hopefully that'll be very close. Home Turf, needles are very popular down here. You can actually buy red ones now, just like the dyed mulch. They look nice if they're installed right and the edges are tucked under.

8. NCSULandscaper

NCSULandscaper Banned

I figure it for about 15-20 sq ft because after i spread it, and pack it real good so it doesnt blow away, it creates a thicker weed barrier and keeps the straw looking nicer for a longer time. Since pine straw allows more light to get through to the soil layer, it makes weeds a bigger problem unless you pre-m the beds also.

Bales now are not packed as tight as they use to be. They have gotten way past the point of sorry, and the cost is equal to mulch really. However a combination of mulch and straw looks good because of the color and texture contrast.