Pine Needle Question?

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by 101 Lawn Care, Jun 22, 2008.

1. 101 Lawn Care

101 Lawn Care LawnSite Member

Have you had problems trying to install pine needles in the wind? In this area during the spring time especially the wind never seems to stop and the needles go everywhere. Does anybody know of a product that will stop this from happening?

2. jackson1

jackson1 LawnSite Member

It has alot to do with what your applying. The long needles do much better than the ones you get at box stores.They are dry and brittle.I dig out allong curbs then crimp them in.I have watered them in with hose before. You want to shake the fire out of them so none are going the same direction when you spread.40 mph winds will still move them but its a easy fix if they are interlocked.They do make a spray that can be backpack applyed but I have never tried.I just pray for a few showers.I know its frustrating as heck.

3. Trenchblade

Trenchblade LawnSite Senior Member

Keep your back to the wind. I hate working in the rain except when I am laying straw.

4. sbarnes

sbarnes LawnSite Member

Use the wind to work for you as best you can, meaning back off where you want the straw and let the wind feather it in, unless you have go around something into the wind, then you can only grin and bear it .Stay low in the wind. I have also wet the bale close to the final install spot, it helps but it's messy. Hope this helps.