Pine needle removal-tight mulch job

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by rhowerton, Dec 14, 2003.

1. rhowerton

rhowerton LawnSite Member

We are 80% lawn and 20% landscaping and have been asked by a current customer to
    1. remove about 4 years worth of pine needles which usually takes about 60 bales to do, the needles are pretty thick
    2. put double ground mulch down on these areas, about 30 yards of mulch (6 inches deep)in places where about 5 yards of it will have to be put down with a 5 gallon bucket because the area is so tight a wheel barrel won't fit.
    3. plant 30 7 gal. leyland cypress
    Cost is $12 a yard for mulch and $17 for the leyland cypress.
    Only problem is I am not exactly sure how to figure the removal of pine needles and what to charge for the area we have to bring in the mulch with a bucket. I have asked the customer twice about removing the pine needles and they feel sure they want them removed. Any help with pricing would be greatly appreciated. My dump site for the needles is about 3 miles away, we have a 6 1/2 by 14 ft. trailer to haul away.
    Thanks in advance for any help.

2. NCSULandscaper

NCSULandscaper Banned

Little advice on the mulch tansfer. Dont use 5 gal buckets, we use 15 gal plant containers we get from other jobs. They work the absolute best. Depending on the amount of pine straw in there, you dont have to get it all up. Just take off a couple inches and cover the rest with a good thick layer of mulch. Pricewise i would charge roughly $5000 for the whole job. Including all supplies, bed edging with bededger, and pine straw removal.

BTW isnt Clemmons near Lewisville?

3. MudslinginFX4

MudslinginFX4 LawnSite Bronze Member

i"m not sure if this would be the best but could you sub contract out the 5 yards of much that has to be put out by bucket so someone who has a machine to spray it? This might save a little money and then you could mark up that cost to the customer and still make profit!

4. rhowerton

rhowerton LawnSite Member

Thanks for the input about the 15 gal. buckets. Clemmons and Lewisville are just like Raleigh and Wake Forest, can't tell where one ends and the other starts. NCSU do you ever come to the green and growing show in Winston.

5. NCSULandscaper

NCSULandscaper Banned

Yup i will be at the green and grow show this year. And i will be in Lewisville this weekend to visit my sister. Ive probably seen you around cause ive done some work in Lewisville, Clemmons myself. Very nice area where the economy is really booming, lots of potential work.

6. MudslinginFX4

MudslinginFX4 LawnSite Bronze Member

When is the next show in winston? I know it has been posted but i cant find it...

7. NCSULandscaper

NCSULandscaper Banned

Look in the network with people in your area forum and its in the North Carolina thread............i think its jan 13-17 or somewhere in there