pine needles, acid soil

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by RigglePLC, Oct 27, 2011.

1. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

On a trip to northern Michigan, I checked several oak, pine and spruce trees to see if the trees or their pine needles caused acid soil. I used a simple pH meter. I found no evidence for acid soil around these trees.

Diet Pepsi registered pH 6.5. This meter has no calibration adjustments.

S3500005.jpg

S3500004.jpg

Last edited: Oct 27, 2011
  2. phasthound

phasthound LawnSite Platinum Member

Riggle,
    I envy your retirement and hope that when I make that move, I will continue to learn and contribute as you are doing.

For years, I have been interested in gaining a better understanding of soil health and how important it is in maintaining turf. While soil structure, Ph and nutrients all play a role, what really turns me on is soil biology and all the new science that is helping us understand what is happening under our feet.

Here's a taste of what we are learning. Scroll down to the Benefits of Complexity section.
    http://urbanext.illinois.edu/soil/SoilBiology/fw&soilhealth.htm

3. FYS777

FYS777 LawnSite Silver Member

my question riggle, did you find out if there was anything used to balance the ph levels, just a thought because you are testing were there is lawn growing around the trees?????

4. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

I tested in several places miles apart. I found a few that were native white pine, a mile form the nearest lawn, same result, very near pH 7. At the Big Rapids rest area: pH 6.8 underneath a 50 foot white Pine. Under a native balsam fir in a nature preserve pH 6.9. Oddly, the most acid soil I found was under an ash tree: pH 6.0. It was near an abandoned railway so maybe some coal fell off the train.

5. americanlawn

americanlawn LawnSite Fanatic
    from midwest

Nice post buddy. So many "wives tails" out here, and I'm sure you've heard them all. Pine needles, walnuts, red cedars, etc, etc. Not sure about "coal" though. :laugh:

6. CHARLES CUE

CHARLES CUE LawnSite Silver Member

Good job Riggles

Now we need a lawn that had the PH tested by a lab and see how it compares to your meter

All the lawns that i have tested for PH didn't need lime. But every one adds lime every year as a reg lime app.

Charles Cue

7. FYS777

8. Smallaxe

Smallaxe LawnSite Fanatic

What I liked about your 'Readings' was that there was grass growing, just fine in these areas...

What I find interesting about the 'link' provided by one of your detractors was a comment on the website, that claimed rocks need to be removed becuz they would influence results....

My, my, my... you mean that there are actual items extant in out earth that makes it possible for grass to grow that doesn't fit in to our scientific baloney about what makes the grass grow... :)

I suppose it is ideal that we remove all the stones etc. so that the pH is too low for grass to grow.... BAD URL Dude... :laugh:

9. FYS777

well it was for his device.

10. Smallaxe

Smallaxe LawnSite Fanatic

When you can explain the device of a root system, then I suppose we could acknowledge a URL that defines the function of a device that requires the subtraction of the real world...

For me... the grass proves more by its very being there than some clinical ideal of an educrat that requires a sterile , unreal environment to test...

Let's test the real environment , in its entirety, then: we may caqll it science... remember... there was lots of grass there... :)