pine needles, best way to remove...

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by dapozer, Mar 12, 2006.

1. dapozer

dapozer LawnSite Member

I have a property with 6000 sq foot of pine needes laying on grass wich I need to remove. What is the best way to do this. I am thinking of raking them but will a yard vacum do the trick? Any suggestions.
  2. QualityLawnCare4u

QualityLawnCare4u LawnSite Gold Member

Do you have any equipment? My Exmark with the bagger will make short work of that job in a hurry. I have also (for the cheap clients) mulched it up using gators. Another way I did it before I had what I have now is to windrow it then rake it onto tarps, this is a cheap easier way to do it than raking the whole yard. Also another thing that works OK is one of those pull behind yard rakes like sears sells, I think they call them agrifabs but cant remember the exact name but a lot of homeowners here use them on straw.
  3. zim bob the landscaper

zim bob the landscaper LawnSite Bronze Member

u could suck them up and then rake them up. me and my bro started a pine needle compost for blue berry bushes and such.
  4. westwind

westwind LawnSite Senior Member

De-thatcher and vac. Worked for me, but now we have a sweeper!
  5. POPO4995

POPO4995 LawnSite Bronze Member

My Deere MC519 Cart system works great for me! :laugh: That thing could suck a golf ball through a garden hose!;)
  6. jpp

jpp LawnSite Silver Member

If they are too thick we blow and put on tarp. After that we use the mowers with baggers and suck them up. Leaves the yard nice and clean
  7. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

Use a bp or push blower, blow all the needles into one spot then tarp/bag/go to dump.
  8. MysticLandscape

MysticLandscape LawnSite Bronze Member

My walker makes short work of pine needles, but sometime they need to be loosend up, but i have gone through 8 inches of them with no problem, and they pack very nicely in the hopper.
  9. chriscraft

chriscraft LawnSite Senior Member

sealed much kits work well. but they need to be removed in theory. pine needles are very acidic and they lower the ph of the soil to drastic lows, causing greass to die. grass liek soils of 6.5-7.5 ph. you can raise this by adding calxium sulfat (gypsum) we do this regularly on heavily pined landsacpes and yards. ever wonder why grass doesnt frow under a pine tree/? its not the shade to the extent it is the acidity of the soil.