1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Pine Needles Survey

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by Michael J. Donovan, Mar 29, 2007.

1. Michael J. Donovan

Michael J. Donovan Head Moderator, Online Communities Staff Member

Background: A company is being launched to offer easy access to high quality Long Leaf Pine Needles (10”-14” in length) to be shipped via UPS or truck to all areas outside of the southeastern U.S. (where Pine Needles are readily available). You will have the ability to call in the order or place an order online and have the product shipped within 48 hours. Many people visit the south and return home to the north, having thoughts of landscaping their beds with Pine Needles; however, they are unable to locate a supplier of quality Pine Needles that offers shipping. To the landscaper or nursery, this is an opportunity to differentiate your business from the competition by offering this unique product. The landscaper or nursery can also offer to spread the pine needles at an additional charge. I have seen in the north where one homeowner switches to pine needles from mulch, another homeowner in the neighborhood switches after seeing the final results. Who does the second homeowner call? The company who supplied the first homeowner. There are no shipping minimums.

Question:

If you, as a landscaper or nursery, had easy access to quality Pine Needles to offer your customers as an alternative to mulch, would you be interested in adding Pine Needles to your product offering?

Please respond within this thread...thanks.

2. Lawnworks

Lawnworks LawnSite Fanatic
    from usa

Why not just order a semi full of straw(2000 bales)? Shipping straw by UPS just doesn't lucrative.

3. terrapro

terrapro LawnSite Bronze Member

its so non existant here in michigan i wouldnt even know what to do with it. how do you spread it? does it require the same amount for an even spread? what about it raising the acidity of the soil?

around here we have lots of pine needles but we rake them up and dipose of them

i guess i would be willing to sell it as a service. i have laid down cocoa bean husks before and thats about as exotic as it gets so i know someone would want it.

4. Critical Care

Critical Care LawnSite Bronze Member

One man's garbage is another's treasure. In this area, job security is cleaning up all of the long ponderosa pine needles. It's non stop work, and with about a hundred ponderosa pines on my property alone this stuff gets old in a hurry. But, interestingly enough, like pine needles, this area is also volcanic and red cinder rock is very common. My driveway is red cinder, but no one uses it for landscaping, though in other areas they pay big bucks for it. Go figure.

I would think that for a decent lasting pine needle mulch, the needles would probably have to be treated. The subsurface needles tend to turn black, stay moist, and rot, especially during wet periods.

I'm wondering about the cost in shipping this material, and how realistic it would be. If I could ship off my red cinder driveway and make a buck at it, I would.

5. Lawnworks

Lawnworks LawnSite Fanatic
    from usa

It has to be slash, lob lolly, or long needle to be worth anything.

6. jbell113

jbell113 LawnSite Senior Member

You guys have never spread pine straw as a bed filler before???

7. AbsoluteH&L

AbsoluteH&L LawnSite Member

Let's put it this way. When most of us Northerners go South and see you guys spreading out pine "straw" we are thinking arn't you suppose to clean that up not spread it around. What the he11 are they doing? Maybe if we called it pine straw and not pine needles we could sell it. Some things are so different it's funny.

8. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping LawnSite Gold Member

EXACTLY! i would never, could never put that stuff down!!

Ide be questioning myself every second wondering why the he** im putting the stuff in landscape beds and not taking it out of them!

9. procut

procut LawnSite Bronze Member

I have never seen that stuff used around here. People would think you were crazy if you used it.

10. Critical Care

Critical Care LawnSite Bronze Member

The southeast pretty well has a monopoly on using pine straw for mulch.

I'd think that if people are in an area where they typically rake up and dispose of pine needles, they won't be too likely to order pine straw.