pine needles

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Jason, Apr 4, 2000.

1. Jason

Jason LawnSite Senior Member

I have a cleanup tomorrow. Lot's of pine needles. Was wondering if going over them with my Lazer with mulching kit will make them disappear? Or do I need to break out the dreaded hand rake to clean them up? From reading previous posts the Lazer will clean up leaves wonderfully, just hoping it will do the same on pine needles.

2. HOMER

HOMER LawnSite Gold Member

I don't think even the mighty mulchin' Lazer can completely get rid of that pine straw. It will mulch it into a dust if you run over it a few times though, at least my Choppers will so I assume the Lazer would. Depending on where it is, you might be able to leave it there or you may need to do a little clean-up with the old rake!<p>Homer

3. Hello:<p>I might be to late for this reply, but is there a chance that the customer uses pinestraw for mulch in their beds. <p>If so rake it up & put in their beds. It would make them very happy & speed up your clean up hiding thoes clippings from the bushes.<p>All of our customers used pinestraw for mulch in their beds except maybe a couple used bark (ant food where we live) & a few used LOL, window breaking rocks for mulch.<p>If you run across very much pinestraw, you might consider getting one of those 3 foot rakes, which makes raking very fast.<p>----------<br>GrassMaster - Home: www.lawnservicing.com<br>My Start Up Page www.lawnservicing.com/startup/

4. thelawnguy

thelawnguy LawnSite Silver Member

Pine straw? Whats that? Here up north, the pine needles Im thinking of, is from white pine, fine needles about three inches long, which are near impossible to rake, mulch, bag, etc. I just use the blower to remove the bulk of them and then go over the rest with the mower, by next week the remains will be gone. Not much grass grows under pine trees around here anyways, usually its bare dirt your cleaning up.<p>Bill

5. Hello Bill:<p>That's the problem us being from different parts of the country & it makes it difficult for us to answer certain questions.<p>I'm here in midwest Georgia & here pinestraw is booming business. Yep there is folks that are millionaires from gathering & bailing pinestraw. The pinestraw we have here is 8 to 10 inches long & roughly 1/16 inch in diameter.<p>Bales of pinestraw go for $2.50 to $4.50 a bale & over 95% people use it for mulch in beds. The higher end customers pay to have it put in their beds once to twice a year. <p>It's beautiful when first put out if a good quality, some if your lucky has a orangeish tint to it & people will pay more for it.<p>Big pinestraw producers will go in to plantations & gather straw under younger trees. They get for free to help reduce fires & sometimes they have to pay plantation 25 cents or so a bail. It's hard work but very profitable.<p>Lot of people have enough pine trees in lawn that if raked enough it's enough for their beds.<p>Average 2,000 sq. ft. home with beds going around house can take up to 40 - 50 bales & it looks very good.<p>It's common to see Semi trailers parked in Atlanta at street corners selling it by the bale.<p>After a few years of applying a generous amout of straw in beds it makes it almost impossible for weeds to come through & definately keeps moisture in.<p>BTW this is not some kind of joke & I fell for it?<p>A lot of things different going from North to South. I've learned a lot from this forum.<p>----------<br>GrassMaster - Home: www.lawnservicing.com<br>My Start Up Page www.lawnservicing.com/startup/

6. Jason

Jason LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks for all the help guys. Got to the site late today due to a brand new edger breaking down at a job this morning.<p>Then it started to rain. So I ended up raking , with my 3 ft rake. I tried blowing the straw, but it sticks into the ground, some will move, while others stay put. Same goes with raking.<p>Really wish I could use the pine straw for mulch, but the customer wants all the pine in his beds removed as well. It if dries out tomorrow gonna try the Lazer on it.

7. richard

richard Banned

get a BILLY GOAT and do 2 clean up's in a day!

8. dylan

dylan Member
    from Ontario

I'm from ontario and i know the pine needles you are talking about. If you can get to them right away you can bag or mulch them. If they sit over the winter and get packed down you can either rake (with a wide rake) or use one of those dethachers to loosen them and then bag or mulch them. It has worked well for me so far this year. Too bad I got 6&quot; of snow so far today.<br>Dylan