pine needles

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by sierra530, Oct 21, 2006.

1. sierra530

sierra530 LawnSite Member

I just started my lawn and yard care business about 6 months ago.I live in a mountain resort community in the sierra mountains where most of the homes are vacation rentals. Business has been great and increasing strong all season. The main thing that has slowed me down is the spring and fall clean-ups and I was wondering if anyone can give me some advice on the best machine or combinations of machines to get the pine needles out of the lawn and flower beds? The spring time is the hardest. They weave themselves into the lawns and get all matted down in clumps after sitting under the snow all winter.As I stand there raking and bagging for hours I think to myself, "theirs got to be a faster way"!

2. Beau Rivage

Beau Rivage LawnSite Member

If there's one thing I know...it's pine trees. Our house is on a 1/2 acre lot and has 14 of them. Each is well over a hundred feet tall. The neighbors on 3 sides have them as well. In other words...I live under a canopy. When we first moved here I had to remove a 4 inch mat of straw from the ground to expose what little grass there was left. Fortunately it was St. Augustine and filled in within a few seasons. You simply have to keep it off of the grass or it will kill it...especially as it doesn't get a lot of sun. For years I raked...I feel your pain.:hammerhead: Then at last, when I started mowing part time this summer and got a Deere, I went ahead and got the bagger with it. I had concerns...leaves are one thing...straw is another. I needn't have. Now I just blow off the roof first, clean out the gutters, and mow over it. However...I don't have snow laying on it all winter and am able to stay on top of it. I guess your situation would call for a pre-emptive strike right before the first hard snow to eliminate as much as possible? Timing is everything when it comes to raking pine straw. It seems to fall in waves here so it's just a matter of waiting until the end of each wave to rake. (usually 2 or 3 weeks.)

3. Shawns Lawns

Shawns Lawns LawnSite Senior Member
    from Maine

When i have alot of matted down pine needles to pick up instead of raking for hours, i use my Honda fg100 with dethatching tines to get it up and then i use my collection system to pick it all up. Works like a charm:waving:

4. sierra530

sierra530 LawnSite Member

Does anybody know if a lawn vac will do me any good picking up pine needles off of lawns or out of flower beds