Pine Needles

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by poghead, Sep 17, 2001.

1. poghead

poghead LawnSite Member

I have done a search, I could not find any info on raking up pine needles with a jrco leaf plow. Wondering if anyone has tried and had any success? Also where can I find a three foot hand rake?

As always thanks and I pitch in when I can.

2. Premo Services

Premo Services LawnSite Bronze Member

Pine needles are a pain in the............
    I have never used a jrco leaf plow, but I don`t think it would work very well. How would you get the plow under the tree and the limbs to get the needles? When I have to do pine needles, I have a 21in toro super recycler mower and it does the trick. If they are thick, I take the bagger off and mulch first, then go back with the baggger. I could also use a backpack blower to get them from under the tree, then use the ultra vac to get them up.
  3. lakeviewnw

lakeviewnw LawnSite Member

There is a product out there called "Estate Rake" which you can find at :

It's a tow-behind piece of equipment which allows you to windrow the needles behind you, making them easier to pick up. It is meant to be used in larger areas, so if you're dealing with a small yard, it may not be of much help. Worth taking a look at.
  4. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

The JRCO dethatcher will rake and push them but I perfer to set the deck to 1 1/2 and suck them up into the Walker.

BTW if you want a rake you should have been on my street this morning before the garbage truck came. I don't own a rake.:D
  5. kutnkru

kutnkru LawnSite Silver Member

An other alternative that you might want to consider is to blast them back under the pine trees. The needles will act as a mulch coating for the winter months and then you can just hand rake them out of the beds in the springtime when performing your inital clean-up.
  6. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

The JRCO rake does work well, I always used a pitchfork as a rake for them. That works well, too.