pine removed...planting grass

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by gameday, Apr 11, 2004.

1. gameday

gameday LawnSite Member

I recently had a pine tree removed from my front yard. I now have a large bare spot that I'd like to plant grass on. I've already removed all of the pine needles and roots. Now I just have a bare spot that is ready for planting. General knowledge tells me that I'll need to use some lime.

If I want to make this work the first time, what is the proper procedure to follow? Do I put the lime down first? Do I need to water this? How long do I wait before I put seed down? What type of seed will be best? Fertilizer? Any information that will help me grow grass where I pine tree once was is appreciated.

The months of April and May in Pittsburgh, PA can be pretty wet so I need to take that into consideration as well.
  2. gameday

gameday LawnSite Member

Thanks for the help.
  3. luketrash

luketrash LawnSite Member

haha.. As a new homeowner and someone with absolutely no knowledge on the subject, I'm just winging it.

I bought a 'shady mix' bag of grass at KMart yesterday to plant under my pine tree areas.

I've read that fescue grasses actually like acidic soil and shade. So i'm not putting down lime.. I just raked all the pine needles away, roughed up the dirt with my garden rake, and threw down seed and watered it last night.

I'll get back to you in a couple weeks to tell you if it was time wasted or not :)