Pine straw as mulch

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by Dirty Water, Sep 17, 2006.

1. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

I'm from upnorth, so I never see pine straw, but I think it looks like total and absolute crap.

Anyone else agree?

I'd rather see died red mulch than pine straw, and I hate died red mulch.

2. YardPro

YardPro LawnSite Gold Member

it's just becuase you are nt used to it....

it is commonplace here in the south.

what else will we do with all those pine needles????LOL

3. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

Biofuel?

:D

4. Uranus

Uranus LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mass

I agree. I hate the look of it too. I catch the landscape shows on HGTV once in a while and laugh at them shaking it all over. I'll take bark mulch over pine straw any day.

5. YardPro

YardPro LawnSite Gold Member

They both have thier place. Pine straw is much less expensive, and will help to acidify alkiline soils. It breaks down SUPER fast and releases into the soil. I prefer shredded hardwood mulch also, but we still lay over 5K bales/year.....the price sells.

6. lawnspecialties

lawnspecialties LawnSite Silver Member

Half my install jobs call for pine straw, the other half get triple-shredded hardwood mulch. The people get what they want, and they pay.payup

7. LLandscaping

LLandscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

We use alot of pinestraw because that is what our customers want. It also holds on hills better than mulch and on some jobs is easier to use. I think pine straw and mulch both have there place it depends on the job.

8. Pro-Scapes

Pro-Scapes LawnSite Platinum Member

I agree... We run 75% or so pinestraw over mulch installs. You can tuck the edges and make it look pretty neat. Its definatly a southern thing. We got mulch at our own house. Some houses look better in straw some look better in mulch.

I seen the crap they use on the HGTV. You gotta get the nice long needles and make sure there is little to no debris in it. With all the pine trees we got here ( I live in the pine belt) you usually end up with straw in mulch beds naturally anyways.

I seem to get more profit out of straw. I buy from a local farmer who bales it HUGE with a square hay bailer. Easily 4 times the straw you get in most bales. We use about 1500 a year.