Pine Straw Baler?

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by BowtieBlazer, Apr 12, 2009.

1. BowtieBlazer

BowtieBlazer LawnSite Member

I'm taking a business venture into pine straw harvesting, and have a well established narrowly spaced pine stand. Currently its baled by hand in a machine pressed square bale. Looking to go pto driven baling but want to stick with small square bales anyone out there doing this or have suggestions?

2. Dirt Digger2

Dirt Digger2 LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

go with a new holland baler...arguably the best small balers out there

3. BowtieBlazer

I'll look into those any model number come to mind?

4. Dirt Digger2

from PA

are you looking for an older baler or newer baler?

5. BowtieBlazer

being that I don't know exactly what models to even look at new or used is an option price not being an issue for the "right" new equipment.. what's out there?

6. Dirt Digger2

from PA

we're running a New Holland model 275, its an older baler but in very nice shape, we have a kicker on ours too...which you probably wouldn't need

if you are looking at older balers you will find 275's anywhere from $1,500-$4,500

it is a good size baler for our needs...obviously there are larger balers that require a little more HP to run them, but for our operation the 275 is great, pulled behind a John Deere 4020 we do roughly 40 acres of hay with it

The newer models in the same size would be 575 but for those balers new you are looking at $20,000+

the 315 and 320 are also good models

check this out....

http://www.tractorhouse.com/listing...HOLLAND&GUID=10D810CA1057439C9B0C865DD44F8DEF

7. BowtieBlazer

thanks for the response, I'm looking for a low HP type smaller bales are better, easier to let landscapers handle/sell to avg. homeowner

cool site i'm going to look around

8. johnsonslawnmanagement

johnsonslawnmanagement LawnSite Senior Member

You guys happen to know where I can get a hand baler or plans for building one?
    Posted via Mobile Device