Pine Straw Cleanups?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by T Total Lawncare, Oct 16, 2007.

1. T Total Lawncare

T Total Lawncare LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from The deep south

A question for you guys in heavy pine areas. What have you found to be the best and most effecient ways to clean up pine straw? Besides a rake and a garbage bag. You can mulch, bag or blow leaves. Pine is very prevalent in my area and is not as easy to dispose of. Keep in mind I'm pretty much a solo op. If you could give advice accordingly I'd appreciate it sincerely.

2. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

I've found that a lawn sweeper works well on lighter accumulations. For heavy amounts I use a tow behind lawn vaccum. I have the Brinly vacuum but the Cyclone Rake is popular too.

3. naturescape

naturescape LawnSite Bronze Member

A mulching mower will help. And the stuff disappears on it's own pretty fast also, I've never had a problem with it.

4. supercuts

supercuts LawnSite Silver Member

we try to grind it up and bag it if the area isnt all the big. for large areas we have foudn the quickest way is to simply use the ZTR cut in a circle blowing a pile with the deck set very low. it picks up most of the pine. then vac them up

5. lawnboy dan

lawnboy dan LawnSite Gold Member

another job for the snapper hi vac mower

6. T Total Lawncare

I have always found that the stuff just gets light and more fluffy when I try mulching it. It just kind of floats on top of the grass. I have considered blowing it toward a center point and trying to bag up the rows. Wonder how that would work. It doesn't row as quiet as easy as grass clippings.

7. T Total Lawncare

Never seen the cyclone rake. Got a link to a website. How do they work?

8. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic