1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Pine straw rates

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by georgiaboy, Feb 16, 2006.

1. kozmo

kozmo LawnSite Member

what is pinestraw and how about picture Iam a dumb sprinkler guy from jersey

2. Lawnworks

Lawnworks LawnSite Fanatic
    from usa

Yeah I could definately understand the ATL bearing that price. Maybe I need to raise my rate... it wouldn't hurt to lose some pine straw business. I think $3 labor would be about the max for me though.

3. WarEagleCRL

WarEagleCRL LawnSite Member

I charge $7/bale in Alabama, get it delivered $3.50/bale. I'm oly like 2 hrs from Atl. Wish I could charge more but everyone complains as it is, customers about how much and my workers because it sux

4. LLandscaping

LLandscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

We charge $8 a bale installed and it costs us $3.25 a bale.

5. bicmudpuppy

bicmudpuppy LawnSite Silver Member

Ok, where can I get pine straw that will ship it cross country without buying a truck load? I've used straw before and I like the way it looks. I've got a job bid that is perfect for it, but the only supplier I've found is a retail internet outfit. 40 bales to cover approx. 2200'sq is going to cost me almost $900 delivered to me here in KS. After that, I still have to charge for installing it. You guys make this price sound like highway robbery. If the going rate is less than $4 / bale in the SE, can I get it shipped to the west KC metro for double that? The shipping portion on the 40 bales (4 bales to a box, 10 boxes) was quoted at $200 of that $900 price.

Could I get 100 bales shipped here for $900 from another supplier? That would bring it down to ten bucks a bale and I would just have to inventory the extra for a future job. If the extra is paid for, I could risk it! :)

6. bicmudpuppy

bicmudpuppy LawnSite Silver Member

I'm going to pull this one back up to the top in hopes that some of you that use straw on a regular basis might be kind enough to reply with a vendor or two who might be able to ship straw to the KC area. The idea of paying 15 a bale plus freight doesn't seem quite right, but if that is what I have to do to for this job I will. I received the signed contract Friday, so I have to order the straw in the next few days, 15 buck a bale or not.

7. lawnspecialties

lawnspecialties LawnSite Silver Member

You are my Hero

8. mslawn

mslawn LawnSite Senior Member
    from LA

You could put out Synthetic (Textraw) for that price, might be something to think about.

9. lawnsbyrj

lawnsbyrj LawnSite Member

i am not sure who thinks that bails are not machine bailed but I know that i have personally watched them raked inot rows and gotten up with a tractor and bailer. U can also feed it into the bailer with pitch forks.

10. mslawn

mslawn LawnSite Senior Member
    from LA