1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Pine straw spreaders... and speed secrets?

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by Carolina Cuts, Mar 8, 2008.

1. Carolina Cuts

Carolina Cuts LawnSite Bronze Member

Here is a serious question and your opinion if it would work or not...
    Shredder/chipper type system... with a 5 inch hose attached to the exit shoot....

take apart the bales of straw, left with 8-10 'bricks' of knotted straw... drop the bricks in the leaf shoot.... let the shredder 'tumble' the straw to loosen it.... and have it blow out the 5"-6" hose.

dull the blades of the shredder so it doesn't shred too much?

Forgive the silly idea, but I'm forever trying to come up with ways to 'work smart, not hard'.....

2. Mark Bogart

Mark Bogart LawnSite Member

There may not be enough force to push the straw through the hose.
  3. Carolina Cuts

Carolina Cuts LawnSite Bronze Member

that's what I'm afraid of.... gonna have to buy one and test it I suppose...
    hmmmm.... *brains working*
  4. lawnMaster5000

lawnMaster5000 LawnSite Senior Member

you could try that with a leaf loader, the truck size vacs, say like a 10-20hp.

When I suck up pine needles it doesn't cut them up much at all, but does get them moving out the exit shoot. You could easily put a hose on there. Other brand leaf loaders may cut up the material much more effectively than mine does.

Have you ever priced those hoses though, they are expensive.

I have thought about putting a hose on the end of my leaf loader and blowing the leaves back to the trailer rather than bringing all the piles all the way to the street. Could save some serious time if it works.
  5. ATL Lawn

ATL Lawn LawnSite Senior Member

but then it will be too choped up