Pine Straw ...?

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by Sharp Services, Mar 3, 2006.

1. Sharp Services

Sharp Services LawnSite Senior Member

I landed a nice pine straw job form a neighbor of one of my regular customers. I was wondering what y'all charge to install pine straw by the bale. The job took 75 bales of straw (5 less than I figured) to cover all her planted areas and the natural area behind the house. The supplier, which is located 15 minutes form the job, sells the straw for $3.68 per bale. I put out 25 bales an hour. I priced the job at $6.25 per bale which is $468.75. A profit of $192.75 or $55 an hour if you include 30 minutes to pick up the straw. This was my first straw job and I was wondering if I was on target.

Also ... they were happy that the bill was $31.25 less than I quoted. Only thing is now I have 5 bales of straw left. I guess I will keep them at home to use on another job or spread around the plants a my house.

Thanks,

2. B&D Lawn Care

B&D Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

Looks pretty good, but my self I always try to make double what I got into materials. So if you would've included the 31.25 then you would be a lot closer to that mark. But you made money and came out w/ some materials for another job. Bottom line .....

YOU MADE MONEY!!!!!!

3. Westbrooklawn

Westbrooklawn LawnSite Senior Member

The going rate around here is between $8 and $9 per bale. I would not have done it for less that $8/bale...

4. Pro-Scapes

Pro-Scapes LawnSite Platinum Member

bales vary wildly ion size and cleanliness. Some are full of trash vines and other crap some are nice and clean. The bales I got this past winter I paid 5.50 for. I charged 10 a bale installed for about 70 bales. These are not small crappy cheap bales from lowes. These are nice heavy bales (about 50 pounds each) and is very clean. 70 bales covered where 24 yards of mulch were previously needed. Its really hard to estimate it but it sounds like you did ok.

SAVE THOES EXTRA BALES! I usually carry an extra bale or 2 on my trailer or in the back of the truck. Sometimes you encounter bare spots or where a plant died. On my full service accts our my bed maint accts I patch as needed and bill them for whatever straw I use. No one ever complained because it always looks good. I especially take a little bit when I go to do a shrub trim. Sure beats trying to get all the leaves up plus it looks nicer.

5. lawnsbyrj

lawnsbyrj LawnSite Member

i install between $5.50 and 8.00 depending on the area and size of the beding but getting $55 per hr with no helper to pay is a Good deal to me and a great deal when it is a slow time like it can be right now.

6. MudslinginFX4

MudslinginFX4 LawnSite Bronze Member

I've been charging $7.50- $8.00 per bale here. I'm paying 3.50 for huge bales of NC long needle straw. When we do thousands at a time for some propertys we are only getting $7.00 though.

7. Sharp Services

Sharp Services LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks for all the encouraging information. Unfortunately all the straw I was able to find were not all that big and had trash in them. I threw all the trash in the yard and racked it up on my way out. But you are right, things are slow this time of year. Give it another 3 or 4 weeks and things will start to gear up.

Again thanks,