Pine Straw

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Westbrooklawn, Mar 17, 2003.

1. Westbrooklawn

Westbrooklawn LawnSite Senior Member

My previous pinestraw supplier has developed too many "year round" accounts, and a 16,000 bale order to fill in the next week. As a result I am low on their list.

Does anyone in the NC area have a supplier that may be able to provide me with good needles at a good price? Thanks for any information.
  2. yardman1

yardman1 LawnSite Senior Member

How much do you pay for straw in NC?
  3. Bunton Guy

Bunton Guy LawnSite Bronze Member

I use 3 companies :
    "Special Touch"- Parnell Miller (843)672-5210
    "David's longleaf pine needles"- David Woodward (843)672-2974

How large are you orders?
  4. Westbrooklawn

Westbrooklawn LawnSite Senior Member

I paid $2.85/bale, 300 bale trailer load last year for short leaf. $3.25 for longleaf. I only use around 1000 bales in the spring, and prefer to buy it in 300 bale quantities, but would consider a larger load. Storage is a bit of a problem.
  5. NCSULandscaper

NCSULandscaper Banned

you can possibly try Pine Straw Distributors out of raleigh/greensboro
    Also i was thinking about buying a tractor trailer load out of georgia and loking for someone to split it with.
  6. Ajays

Ajays LawnSite Member

If your in a pinch, you can always go to Lowes. Its 3.50/bale and usually pretty good quality. They usually have plenty but don't offer discount for quantity. Tractor trailer runs about $3500
  7. LakeSide Lawn and Landscape

LakeSide Lawn and Landscape LawnSite Senior Member

I hate buying pine needeles this time of the year,all of them look like ****.(i.m.o)I think the best time for them is in about a month.I buy alot from john deere but here lately lowes had needles that looked as good as theres.There is a guy in statesville that has a green house that just got some in today if you want his number e-mail me he always has nice needles.:)
  8. Bunton Guy

Bunton Guy LawnSite Bronze Member

In the last 3-4 years I have yet to get that perfect batch of long leaf pine needles that has the really deep orangish brown look. I always seem to get the stuff that has been bailed a while ago but still decent.
  9. bigdaddyspags

bigdaddyspags LawnSite Member

What is Pine straw? Does anyone have a picture?