pinecones and baggers

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lee b, Feb 18, 2003.

1. lee b

lee b LawnSite Fanatic

I'm bidding on a large contract and will need to bag leaves in the fall. I've always mulched up the few leaves on my industrial sites, so I've never needed a bagger before. My question is, does any bagger {especially the Exmark ultra-vac or QDS} for a mid-mount have the ability to pick-up good-sized pine cones? Or will I have to pick them up ahead of the mower? Thanks

2. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

Can't comment about the Exmark but I will tell you that my Walker will pick them up thru the GHS with the deck set at 1.5 inches to 2" depending on the size of the cones. Every now and then one will take flight forward so you have to be careful but I have had good luck at picking most of them off in the first pass.

3. Premo Services

Premo Services LawnSite Bronze Member

I have a lazer hp 52 inch 23 kawi. I also have the ultra vac. I have noticed that it will get most of them if the lawn is thick, some of them get mulched up.
    I did lower the deck in the areas where no lawn was, and seemed to get them.
    Mabey you could demo the mower with the vac unit you would want to use, and see first hand, how it will work in your conditions..:cool:

4. mowngrow

mowngrow LawnSite Senior Member

it might be time to purchase a walker. man, what a vacuum system those things have got. would not trade mine for anything.......unless it was two new ones!!

5. BB36

BB36 LawnSite Member

Lee, I have done some bagging over the years and would suggest to you to pick up the pine cones by hand (have a helper do it before you mow).I've used my mowers to pick up pine cones before and in all cases the impellers eventually get beaten up and cost alot of money to repair.
    I've used a Toro 25 Hp 44" Outfront rider (like a Walker)and a Toro 54" 19Hp ZTR Midmount with a QuicVac bagging system a after market unit. Again in all cases i worn out the impellers way to early. I learned the hard way.

Gary